Anyone used Aventi KS or KP?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Anyone used Aventi KS or KP?

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:03 am

Mitzi is pretty much in end stage kidney failure now, and my vet has suggested I add Aventi KS and Aventi KP to her list of meds. Given how hard it is to get her to eat at all, I have to mix most of her meds into a slurry of pet kelp and coconut oil, and then syringe it into the back of her mouth. It looks like the amount of Aventi she'd need (about 1/2 tsp of each) would mean two or three syringes (she can only take a small syringe - she's only just over 7 pounds now), and while I can get one into her fairly well, I'd really be lucky to get more in. That, plus the cost, for a dog in end stage, makes me question the value of ordering it. On the other hand, I want to keep her as comfortable as possible and this does help with both the urea problem and the phosphorus issues.
Has anyone here used it for their kidney-failure dogs, and if so, did you see a difference? Did you have any trouble getting the dog to take it? It comes in a powder form which is supposed to be sprinkled on food - at the moment the only food she is eating most days is tripe.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Anyone used Aventi KS or KP?

Postby SherriA » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 am

I haven't used it or even heard of it. I hope someone else can help.

Kidney failure is no fun. I went through it with Oliver, but we just kept adjusting his diet. Thank goodness beagles will pretty much always eat.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:33 am

I haven't used it or heard from anyone that has.

I'm sorry you are at this stage with her :(
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:32 am

I haven't heard of that one. Sam took amino B-plex as his vitamin support. It was 1ml on his food twice daily and seemed palatable.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Mitzi also takes amino b-plex. The Aventi is supposed to do something more - I've started her on the Aventi KS but not the Aventi KP. The challenge is getting it all into her (she's on benazepril, Tylosin, Amino B-Plex, Aventi KS, sometimes Mirtazapine or Cerenia, and a kelp supplement - none of which can be added to her food as she will reject any food with any of those things, and most foods she rejects anyway!). Even the Amino B-plex was enough to throw her completely off a canned food she had been eating fairly well for three months - now she won't touch it.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 am

INGREDIENTS: Maltodextrins, calcium carbonate, potassium citrate, chitosan, artificial meat flavor.
Im not inclined to give meds that dogs refuse at the end of their life particularly if they are getting really expensive and knowing kidney failure already causes that nausea, malaise, hungover feeling. If there was risk of turning them off the limited foods they'd accept, I don't think I'd risk it.
Maybe there's an easier way to get calcium and potassium citrate into her?

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”