Cinnabon and Benson

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Cinnabon and Benson

Postby JudyL » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi all, I know many of you see the posts on facebook after my dogs' vet visits, but I didn't realize that I hadn't posted anything about my goings on here since I lost ChiChi and then Dixie, and that was over a year ago. Time is really flying by and it's definitely time for an update.

Cinnabon - next month will be her 14th birthday and I hope she's still around for that. She's had two stays at the e-vet this year requiring oxygen therapy while they adjusted her dosages of her medicines. She's still happy and does try to do most of the things she's always enjoyed. I try to keep her calm and keep her from running to the door when someone knocks, and chasing after bunnies and squirrels is a no-no because she'd simply run out of air. She's on a lot medicines at this point and sometimes doesn't want food in the morning, but she's still eating fairly well once the day progresses. About 8 and 9 pm each evening she's really funny when she decides she's simply starving and turns into a bottomless pit and we have a staring contest for an hour or more.

Then there's Benson - His pre-dental checkup and exam in Feb revealed a grade 1 murmur. He had his dental cleaning and everything seemed normal until last month when he started with a cough too. A visit to the vet with x-rays and then a cardio consult with ultrasound told us that the cough is coming from collapsing trachea, and he also has leaking valves on each side of his heart with louder murmurs that are now grade 3 and 4. Right now his heart isn't enlarged and is otherwise functioning well with no BP problems. His 9th birthday was earlier this month, so this makes me sad that he already has these problems at his youngish age. He thinks he's fine though.

Benson isn't on any meds at this point and I've started him on CoQ10 and Dasuquin because I read that glucosamine and condroitin sulfate are good for dogs with collapsing trachea and for controlling inflammation and because I had those products on hand. I'm also planning on adding in a fish oil for omega 3s and vitamin E. I have those too and need to look into the appropriate amounts for his size. His diet varies and currently includes dry, Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw super beef patties, or Nature's Variety canned. I'm not sure what else I could do for him but if anyone has any specific suggestions, I'm open to them.

Thanks for reading, and sorry this was so long and long overdue.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Cinnabon and Benson

Postby SherriA » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm glad to read that the littles are doing reasonably well! Aging is tough, but they've got the best care possible.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:19 pm

Aww, thanks for the update! <3 MP turns 14 next month on her fake birthday, too! :D I feel you with the aging business. I think it ages the humans even more! ;) Love your little ones! :D

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi judy, I'm so glad that they are maintaining. It's such a balancing act as they age. But they are in such great hands, thanks for the update!
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”