Heartguard or Interceptor?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Heartguard or Interceptor?

Postby JudyL » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:59 pm

I've had enough heartworm medicine on hand from all the dogs that didn't realize Interceptor is back on the market. What are your reasons for liking one over another of the heartwormers these days? This is for Benson and he weighs just 4 lbs.

My vet is recommending Heartguard without the "Plus" and that's ok because I don't need flea control. My problem with it is the product I'd have to purchase is for dogs up to 25 lbs. Interestingly, the last box they sold to me was with the Plus and was the only thing available from them at the time.

The Interceptor for his weight range is for dogs in the 2 -10 lb range.

Both are available from my online pharmacy, and I'm getting ready to place an order for another Rx medicine, so this will also save me on shipping on both and is more convenient than me driving an hour round trip to the vet's office.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Heartguard or Interceptor?

Postby SherriA » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:37 pm

I prefer interceptor because I can give a lower dosage, which for Henry is the 2 -10 lb one instead of the 11 - 25 lb one (and even that's a lot more than the safeheart dosage would be). With a dog as small as Ben, though, it wouldn't make any difference in that regard.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:36 pm

I like interceptor because I can do the safeheart dose for Max (same as Sherri) and because I'm not a huge fan of ivermectin but if there's not a lot of difference for him I'd choose what you're comfortable with. Both are single drug so you don't have to worry about muti-drug interactions. I would crosscheck each of those for interactions with the meds he's currently on and go from there.

ETA: Just read that he's not on meds so I say go with what you're comfortable with.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Last time I saw interceptor, it was really the Plus, so make sure you are getting the regular Int.

You can get the lower Int dose, the Safeheart dose, which only treats HW and not the other parasites.jazz's IMS said that HG is already at the lower dose. Interceptor came out at the higher dose as a marketing strategy to compete with HG, to have something more.

But the weight range does matter it seems. That's a big weight range on the HG for a small dog. I would use the interceptor for that, and I would want to cut the pill in half, if it's doable, since I think the SH dose is 1/5 the dose.

Hmmmmmm, Since HG's approval dose is it's safeheart equivalent, it's not mathematically equivalent to comapre the math ranges, if that makes sense, since for the smaller weight range, you're getting lots of overkill, you'd need to look up the actuall recommended dosage on the safeheart fda sheet. I'm not sure that made sense.

I use HG here now, used to use interceptor. Never had problems with either, even with my mdr1 dog.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:33 pm

Okay, I'm back....
So, Safeheart dose, according to FDA sheet is .05mg/lb, so a 4 pound dog should get 0.20 mg. The smallest tablet has 2.3 mg of active ingredient according to 1-800 pet meds. So, unfortunately, a 4 pound dog gets about 11 times more than the dosage would require. I guess that's because Interceptor is dosed that much higher than is necessary for straight HW.

The ivermectin dosage that I found here: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/f ... 3e8902ca8d
is 2.72 mcg/lb, so a 4 pound dog would need 10.88 mcg, if my math is correct. The smallest HG tablet is 68 mcg, so a 4 pound dog is getting about 6.25 times more than the dosage would require.

Of course, I think Interceptor is pork-based(???) and HG and beef-based(???) and that may make a difference too with what med is better for the individual dog.
Max-n-Indy

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Interceptor and heart gard are two different active ingredients unless something has drastically changed, so you can't compare the dosages that way.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:16 pm

I'm *still* in the process of trying to buy a drug! What I wanted to pass along is something my vet said about a difference between the ivermectin and milbemycin. She said that the milbemycin has a faster kill off than the ivermectin (more gradual), so that if a dose is missed and then milbemycin is given, that dog has a higher chance of having an anaphylactic shock to the kill off with the Interceptor than with the Heartguard if the dog is HW+. I don't know if that is true or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm feeling very frustrated at this point. I originally had Sentinel in my cart, vet's office got the request for approval and called asking "if I was having a problem" because they don't recommend any product with flea control in it. Duh, my error and I changed it to Interceptor. That being said, I have a box of Heartguard PLUS prescribed for Cinnabon with their label on it, and the receptionist didn't want to believe I got it directly from them! OMG! So vet called me again after receiving a request for Interceptor saying she'd have to research the company selling it and where it is being manufactured now. By now I'm really getting fed up because each time I now have to call and have the invoice revised since the original order was processed and is in a holding pattern.

With all of that, she again recommended the Heartguard. Fine, I am now getting Heartguard online, and I think they were trying to get to the point of me buying it from them, but we didn't get there when I started getting pretty frustrated with her on the phone. She gave me the standard crap about giving it every month, all year long, and we'd need to test Ben six months out since he didn't get it every 30 days, blah, blah, blah [insert Charlie Brown teacher voice here]. "Fine, he'll be in during the month of Feb for his next annual exam. Will that suffice?"

So sorry for the rant but needed to get it out. I've stayed with this practice because they don't push the vaccines and have allowed purchasing the heartworm meds online, and I'm certainly not going to switch Cinnabon's case over to a new practice at this point, but I may be shopping for a new vet closer to home for Benson in the future.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Ugh! How frustrating!!!

My vet's office hasn't given me grief about ordering Interceptor online, but I think that's primarily because they don't carry it. I don't know what they do with MDR1 dogs, since they only have HeartGuard, IIRC. I was clear that I wanted Interceptor and didn't leave much room for debate (though the tech still insisted on telling me that the lower dose of Interceptor didn't really matter because "heartgard is so safe that your dog could eat a whole bowl of the chews without any ill effects". I felt like telling her to go ahead and eat a bowl of pesticide if she wanted, but I wasn't going to give my dog more of it than necessary.)

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:07 am

Interceptor and heart gard are two different active ingredients unless something has drastically changed, so you can't compare the dosages that way.
You can compare amounts of the drug that way, clearly - how much excess of each is given per dose. Of course, how the med acts, such as kill rate, as Judy mentioned, will determine the affect each med has, and having more of one may be more or less benign as the other.
Max-n-Indy

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:12 am

I'm *still* in the process of trying to buy a drug! What I wanted to pass along is something my vet said about a difference between the ivermectin and milbemycin. She said that the milbemycin has a faster kill off than the ivermectin (more gradual), so that if a dose is missed and then milbemycin is given, that dog has a higher chance of having an anaphylactic shock to the kill off with the Interceptor than with the Heartguard if the dog is HW+. I don't know if that is true or not, but I thought I'd mention it...
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if it has anything to do with the higher dosage, or just the med. Jazz's IMS didn't mention any of that.

When I've accidentally bought the HG Plus, thankfully my dogs handled It fine, and I'm sure I would have noticed. When the vet accidentally sold us sentinnel and I didn't catch it, I did try it (before I new better), and it was Not Good.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this, it's a PIA and it shouldn't be this hard.
Max-n-Indy

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”