Smokey is 15 now. We let him have the roam of the house. At his age he's not destructive although maybe we should pen him up when we leave- he has had pee incidents in the past. Friday I was out and came home, found him in my sons room. He'd gone down, maybe fell then couldn't get up- he'd scooted himself around trying to get up and stuck himself under a dresser. Maybe he was wanting to go outside when fell, he'd peed a river and was soaking wet. So fun getting him up, he will bite, who knows pain related.
So we picked up Gabapentin for him Saturday afternoon - he did eat breakfast that morning, which he probably shouldn't have had. He had a soft poop later that morning. But just after 6 PM the diarrhea started. We were up with him several times in the wee hours with letting him out or mopping up. We got good at recognizing when he was about to poop again. He'd sit up, do lip licking, then head to the door if he could get himself up. Had to help him out several times or carry him out. I can't remember smokey having soft poop or diarrhea the other dogs we've had would have incidents but not him. He had the true runny kind, watery at times. He still had an accident after I went to bed at 10 last night, so that's around 28 hours of diarrhea.
I called the vet yesterday morning. They suggested Pepcid, gave him a couple doses, didn't see that it helped him. Made up slippery elm, he wouldn't touch it and by that time he refused any bits of food, so don't think we could have gotten pills in him if we would have had slippery elm pills.
This morning he was up walking the laundry room, but no poop puddles out there. He did go out, peed, but no diarrhea. Now finally this morning he's back to a normal sleeping routine. Poor guy hopefully his tummy is empty, he's gone a few hours now without an incident.
Now the question is how long should we wait before feeding him. I'm having trouble convincing my son not to feed him to let his stomach settle down. We're sort of at a loss as to what caused his illness - if food he'd had a couple days before wasn't good or if Lady had a virus and he caught it. Bill Googled it, one said arthritis could be a cause, which is why he thinks he should be fed sooner than I think he should. I don't know if he should be feed today at all, maybe not till tomorrow morning. Poor dog is probably going to want to just sleep. Now have to wait to see if it's catching if Lady comes down with it. I've made mushy rice yesterday, but don't know if he should have any today. He did drink water yesterday and this morning. Took his temperature yesterday. No fever. So isn't it 12-24 hours after the diarrhea stops before you feed? I'll give him digestive enzyme then