Hemopet results and eating cat poop

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Hemopet results and eating cat poop

Postby BarksaLot » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:18 pm

So we did the Nutrascan saliva test on Lady. She is allergic to beef, chicken, duck, turkey, white fish, venison, corn, milk, wheat

So that leaves us with goat, lamb, pork, salmon, soy for protein sources. Grains she's not allergic to.

Then tonight we couldn't find her anywhere, she didn't come when called. Searched all over, almost thought she'd jumped the fence finally. Finally found her in the cat litter box eating poop. I try and keep poop scooped, but maybe she's beating me o it. :banghead:

She came out and dropped a little mouthful of litter on the rug which I had to get up fast, she was acting like she wanted to eat the evidence against her.

So now should we worry about cat litter she may have swallowed? We use Wal Mart non clumping litter.

She seems to have found her appetite , wants to clean the other dogs pan- food she's allergic to, learned to help herself to the cats food, which she is also allergic too. Moved the cat dish to the middle of the kitchen island - had a time teaching the cat to find his food dish. Have had pissed off cat today because of moving his dish. Don't have a spot higher to set litter pan, have it by toilet in bathroom. Tried putting a litter pan in the bathtub a couple feet away, but it was a new, larger pan, he wouldn't touch it.

We are trying a lamb and brown rice from just food for dogs, but they say that's low protein, so maybe she's looking for more protein. But my current worry is ingesting kitty litter. Haven't noticed her eating poop in the yard, but did a real quick clean up before dark to pick up doggie poop treats.

She also had upset tummy last night and this morning from the switch, diarrhea . Gave her goat milk and the lamb and brown rice, probably gave too much milk. So giving white rice, trying to not feed her, so I guess that's why she helped herself to the cat pan. Bill heard a noise last night at midnight, got up in time to catch her stealing food from the cats bowl.

She is so funny. Of course she got a good scolding for eating poop, sometimes she will give you a paw like oh come on, lighten up. Then she grins, gets the goofiest look on her face, she does all but laugh, if she was human she would laugh.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Hemopet results and eating cat poop

Postby SherriA » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:13 am

I don't know about concensus with cat litter but I can remember Oliver finding cat poop the most tempting treat ever when we were visiting friends I could not keep him out of it!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:31 am

I did read about several people posting about their dogs coming out with cat litter stuck to their noses. I have sliding bathroom doors so will try shutting them with just a crack for the cat to get in and hopefully I can keep Lady out.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:32 am

A bit of a picky point. Dodds' test does not test for allergens, but food sensitivies. We see the same symptoms from each, but they are a different type of immune response, and thus why you can test for sensitivies via saliva, but not for allergies.

Sensitivities can change over time, I don't know how likely it is. IMO, allergies are less likely to change.

It's good to know her sensitivites, gives you lots of room to improve!
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Two other proteins you didn't mention that aren't on Lady's sensitivity list are rabbit and bison, and there are commercial foods made with these, so there are these that you can possibly add to the safe list. Not inexpensive though, sorry.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:26 pm

Yes, rabbit is on the safe list, not real easy to find but we found boxes of it when we went through the same thing with Taffy.
Bison though it said was ok as long as beef was not reactive, but she had an intermediate reaction to beef, so that rules out Bison. We finally found a source for lamb at an ethnic market, don't know the price for got to ask when he called. We can make the lamb brown rice meal ourselves that Just food for dogs sells. We picked up some ready made meals of the lamb. She has really been having gas since she has been eating it. It has cauliflower in it so I don't if that's her source of the gas. But I'd bet it's the cauliflower.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:33 pm

So Lisa T, are the food sensitivities likely to be allergens? For instance we can buy the ready made lamb meal which has foods she is not sensitive to, although it does include their brand of fish oil which source is white fish. Don't know how much ready made would bother her if she just has a sensitivity.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:03 am

I don't know the answer to that. I suspect that there can be a lot of overlap. I remember googling that question I think one time, and never getting the answer to exactly what I was looking for.

I think you just have to combine the results with a food trial to get the best results. My previous dogs never did well with processed food, even if it was on their safe list :( , though jazz here is tolerating some stella and chewy's after I added the dehydrated tripe. (She has IBD and many allergies.)

IIRC, with sensitivities, you really have to work on gut integrity - things like probiotics, l-glutamine. With food allergies, in addition, sometimes antihistamines will help, but that's more rare, and of course you don't want to use them a lot unless you have to.

I'll throw this out too...

There is some belief that with a very allergic dog (i don't know if this applies to sensitivities), the next main protein you use becomes a "sacrificial" protein. The body is still in a reactive state while changing to the new food, so it learns to react to this food, but less so than the previous foods. I did not have this problem with Indy, but max got to the point he ultimately reacted to any new food. So, anything you can do to help the body while you switch the food may help.

I would consider a digestive enzyme at this point.
Max-n-Indy

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:16 am

Btw, I fed my Indy pork and green beans for over a decade, though in the morning she had eggs and the green beans, so there is hope you can find a good diet and it will work for a long time. (I don't in general feed grains here.)
Max-n-Indy

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:08 am

Yes we did add digestive enzyme . We threw out the food she was eating decided it had gone bad, got a new batch and her tummy settled down. She had to go out a couple of times last night, but she'd had a late dinner and probably needed more time outside. But Smokey has been sick. Hope what he's had isn't catching. I'll start a new thread for that.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”