"Cyst" that keeps refilling :S

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

"Cyst" that keeps refilling :S

Postby MaisyPancakes » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Hey guys, MP had this big bump on the back/top of her neck, right where her harness rubs, for a few years now. Recently, it lost much of its hair and turned kind of dark, and it looked like some rogue tight testicle rolling around on her neck. While I'm pretty sure it wasn't bugging her, I was secretly hoping it would just explode like that chicken-livers-frog-eggs one on the side of her neck from before. Luckily, it voluntarily ruptured last Thursday, and at the rehab vet, no less! The tech gently emptied the remaining contents but warned that they tend to refill rather quickly. The contents were fatty and icky but not stinky, and no one was worried about infection or anything. Once home, I cleaned the area, clipped some longer hairs around the hole, and applied warm tea compress like I did for the chicken livers one before (even though they all said this one shouldn't need any "help").

Her old one didn't refill so I had high hopes, but the dang thing keeps getting puffed up with fluid (not the gunky fatty stuff), and will drain clear-to-ultra-light-pink fluid if gently massaged (from a different hole, I think, because the big rupture hole is already scabbed over and closed up).

I guess if it's fine for MP, it should be fine for me, but I would like to avoid it getting all big like before if it's at all avoidable. I can feel some nodule-y things at the base, which might be scar tissue or something? I am assuming it would stop draining if I stop compressing it, and would just trap whatever is in there...which is fine if that is what it is.

Have you guys had to deal with ever-fluid-refilling bumps? Is there really nothing you can do to keep it from filling up? Any input is appreciated—thanks! :)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: "Cyst" that keeps refilling :S

Postby SherriA » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:45 am

I've got nothing. Ice maybe? Hibiclens? I've never dealt with anything like that.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks, Sherri! I had never heard of Hibiclens so I looked it up—I should probably have some on hand, anyway! :) I also read that some people have had success with pressure—maybe so that the pocket will granulate shut? I'm just gonna hope it won't get as big as before. :)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Hibiclens was the soap in the school bathroom dispensers when I was a kid. That stuff was supposed to kill anything, including whatever dirty, messy kids got into :)

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Rosie has a weird warty-cysty thing the refills down towards the base of her tail. She is so incredibly hairy though, that I tend not to notice unless I go looking for it. I hate skin stuff.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks, guys! I looked up the active ingredient of Hibiclens and it looks like you can just get that (and they use it for animals a lot)—I'm totally going to get some soon (for future use), when soap & water ain't gonna cut it!

I kid y'all not when I say that it used to look like a busted up testicle. Every dog testicle I've seen kinda looks like a version of MP's thing that burst. It's now just a puffy button, but it still will leak if I put any pressure on it. :S

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Max has one, about the size of a pencil eraser, on his side. It has two holes. One squirts a thick gray goo if i palate it, one hole bleeds almost like a zit if it's bumped. It refills, defying the vets prediction that it would go away, but doesn't empty often, isn't growing or changing and it doesn't seem to bother him so I leave it. I was also told, somewhere along the way, that if the skin grows hair it's less of a concern
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”