Over Kill on Antibiotics?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Over Kill on Antibiotics?

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:48 am

I'm questioning the load of abx Lady is on. She was coming down with the kennel cough or bronchitis on June 25 when we got her. The 27th she was given Clavamox 10 day course. Then two days later when she was worse we took her in for x Ray, then given Baytril on top of the Clavamox. Tomorrow is a week on Baytril. Have a couple days worth of Clavamox left, but 8 days worth of Baytril.

She seems to be feeling better, has more energy, not sleeping as much. Acting like she's bored at times, more playful. Has a cough when she wakes up, but we've read they can have a cough for a couple weeks or so. Kennel cough is a virus isn't it? Which abx for is questionable, sort of like the doctor handing them out just to make the parent feel better.

I've got her transitioned to whole food now, we went through a bag of kibble and canned. Now she's eating the russet potato and beef formula from Just Food For Dogs. She seems to be doing well, poop is looking solid, no tummy upset. Also getting probiotics into her. I'm thinking I just need to build her up with whole nourishing foods and probiotics. Maybe finish out Clavamox? Just don't see doing over another week on Baytril. Selling a ton of abx was good for the vet to rake in cash, but not so sure Lady needs so much of a load.

So what do you think? Would you stop the antibiotics and just let immune system take over? Her blood work all came back perfect according to the vet. Just her thyroid being a little low.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Over Kill on Antibiotics?

Postby JudyL » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:57 am

Kennel cough is a virus that won't be helped by antibiotics, BUT dogs can also have secondary infections too, like sinus infections or the bronchitis you mentioned. I'd finish out the medications because if Lady also had something else going on along with the KC, then stopping the abx early could allow it to come back on her stronger than before and would require starting the treatment completely over. Since you are already part way through the meds, just finish them out and keep alternating the doses with the probiotics to help her gut tolerate the remaining doses.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Re: Over Kill on Antibiotics?

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Yeah, guess your right Judy. She does have periods of exertion, then sleep so she is still fighting off a bug. I didn't think of the bronchitis as a secondary infection, that does take a good dose of abx.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”