Best non-chemical flea repellents please?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Best non-chemical flea repellents please?

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:51 am

Gawd it's a horrible year for fleas up here. I've only found one on Allie (indoor cat), but every day find two or three on Mitzi despite her regular trips to the groomers, frequent washing of her bedding, use of diatomaceous earth on bedding, in crates, and on the only carpet in the house. Mitzi is a frail 15+ years old, weighs 8 pounds, in renal failure, so there is no way I will use chemicals on her, but also no way I can let the fleas use her for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
She's also hypersensitive to smells, so I'm not sure what flea-repelling essential oils might be least offensive to her. Ideas, please?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Best non-chemical flea repellents please?

Postby SherriA » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:50 am

Lavender or cedar essential oils are commonly used to repel fleas. I wonder if the gentler hydrosol of the same plants might work uf she's super sensitive. I make a spray with a lite wter, I cup acv and 3 drops cedar eo when fleas are bad. Again might too smelly for Mitzi though.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:04 pm

Oh, lavender! She likes lavender (it's a scent I like a lot, so I guess it is comforting to her) - I'll pick up some lavender essential oil today and make a spritzer with it. I tried cedar a while ago, but she refused to go near her crates or bed until I washed the smell off!
I hate fleas. I hate hate hate fleas.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:45 pm

I agree with Sherri about hydrosols being better/safer—especially in a kitty household. EOs are a little like the grapes of cats: many people say their kitties are OK with very dilute EOs, but others just won't go there with kitties because of the whole kidney thing. Maybe a satchel made with actual dried lavender would be gentler and lovely, but I wonder if it's strong enough for bad-ass fleas. :S

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Well, turns out she hates ACV. I spritzed one of her beds with a plain lavender spray (Lavender Relaxing Mist, by Saje) that I knew she liked because I spritz myself with it at bedtime and she goes right to sleep beside my bed, and she snuggled right back down. So then I went out to the store to buy the EO and mixed up the stuff Sherri suggested, sprayed it all around on the other dog beds, carpet, etc, and she's like "p-ewwwww! I'm not going NEAR that". Now she is pacing back and forth in the hallway because her crate and her other beds all smell of ACV! Oops.
So, tomorrow I wash everything again (just did it all today for the third time in three days), and will just spritz with lavender and water. I also have lots of fresh lavender in my garden, so will do up some sachets and tuck them around the house.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”