What is she doing? Chewing Paws. Habit, boredom, allergies?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

What is she doing? Chewing Paws. Habit, boredom, allergies?

Postby BarksaLot » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Lady chews her whole paws, one at a time. Puts her whole paw in her mouth, then will pull on her paw and then lick her pads. Taffy chewed her paws from allergies, but she nibbled on her paws. Have never seen a dog do this, it's like when babies are a few months old they stick feet or fists in their mouth. Just watched her do all four paws, now she's asleep. Think it's like sucking her thumb? Her papers said she was a chewer. We watched her laying by a wood cabinet the other day licking the base of it and acting like she was getting ready to begin nibbling on it, so distracted her with a toy. She's 2 -1/2 still a puppy? Will have to watch she doesn't have dry pads, lord knows how dry her skin is that's not out of the question. Anybody see anything like that?

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Re: What is she doing? Chewing Paws. Habit, boredom, allergies?

Postby BarksaLot » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:48 pm

I thought I'd comment on this older thread. We've decided that the paw chewing is her self soothing herself like a baby would - she's still doing it, it's before she falls asleep. Sometimes she will stop if we say stop chewing. What works great if she happens to be up on the sofa doing it, I'll start massaging her neck, then she settles, stretch out or curl up and off to sleep she goes

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”