Feeding New Baby Lady, questions, what to do?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Feeding New Baby Lady, questions, what to do?

Postby BarksaLot » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:26 pm

Having some problems, I'll talk it out, but sort of think I suspect what's wrong. Facts: We've had Lady 6 days now. BorderCollie Lab mix. 51.5 lbs. been feeding Evo red formula plus canned of the same along with small amounts of chicken, oatmeal, sweet potato. Made chicken bone broth too.

She was put on Clavamox last Monday for the kennel cough, 312. 5 mg twice daily, they gave us two different size pills 250 mg and 62. 5 mg to take twice a day - because of her weight they said, I suppose they were out of large tablets.

Then last Wed when she was worse she was given 68 mg Baytril to take 1 - 1/2 tablets twice a day. Brethine 2.5mg 1/2 Tablet two times a day. And 5 mg Hycodan, one tablet two times a day. This morning when the vet called to report the negative heart worm she said we could give three times a day if needed, but she was wanting her to cough up the crud. At last nights dinner she left food and didn't finish till later. Now tonight she just ate a small amount and walked away. I remember Licorice being on Baytril and losing appetite, who knows what 2 antibiotic doses does to her. I suspect that's the problem as she was eating before so much antibiotic. A skinny dog sure doesn't need weight loss. And I was thinking we were putting weight on her.

I have been struggling to get a firm stool. At first it was loose - food change related. Then I have been trying to get probiotics into her. I'd picked up Now 8 Billion Acidophilus & Bifidus - we were out of our usual Now tablets. I gave her one capsule one night at dinner and another the next morning. But then poop was runny, so stop the probiotic. Wait till she firmed up yesterday, then gave1/2 capsule and the other half tonight in what she hardly touched.

She is also noise sensitive. We were out in the yard at 6. Big firework went off when she was laying on the grass, that sent her bolting to the house. I have some hemp left over from Licorice, gave her a tiny bit of a capsule on the food, remembering that could cause loose stools.

She's also sleeping a lot. Slept all the way to the beach while we were stuck in traffic. This afternoon she's slept 3 or 4 hours and is back asleep now. She still has a deep cough on waking up.

So that is what's going on. I don't know if sleeping a long time makes her not so hungry. I am also trying to increase the people food, giving a chicken dinner with oatmeal and sweet potatoes along with a smaller amount of kibble. Maybe she thinks the chicken & oatmeal is too bland and not food as far as she is concerned. I'm thinking I need to call the vet. Maybe it's the antibiotic. I remember taking a big dose for an infection once, sure bothered my stomach, but I stuck it out and finished the course, but was hard.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Feeding New Baby Lady, questions, what to do?

Postby SherriA » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Is she drinking? If the abx are upsetting her tummy, I wouldn't be surprised, but you want to make sure she's still drinking.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:58 pm

Well it appears she doesn't like my cooking - I've had complaints from the two legged male here. Added 1/3 of a can of Evo mixed in with what she left and she cleaned it up. Smokey hated pork when we first started cooking meals for him. Just food for Dogs has a joint formula that has pork in it. We thought as old as he is it would be good for him. Feed him too much of it, he will throw up. He'll only eat a couple spoons of the pork mix topped with beef and potatoes to not get tummy upset.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:00 pm

Yeah still drinking. Took water on the trip yesterday, but she wouldn't drink. Sleep too much she probably doesn't drink as much as she should.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”