Gentle Giants Dog Food

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Gentle Giants Dog Food

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:34 pm

Don't know if anyone else caught the segment on Channel 9 news earlier yesterday with the actor that played Robin on the old Batman series from the 60's. In addition to talking about the old show, he was promoting a dog food, Gentle Giants. I can't find a link to it yet, maybe the station hasn't posted newer segments yet. Not particularly user friendly.

Anyway back to the dog food. Seems like he made some reference to it not being baked quite as hot, not coated in oil like other kibble so -but my memory is not to precise. I wonder if this is his company or he's got a financial stake in it. He was sitting on a stool with a great big bag of the food in front of him along with 3 or 4'dogs, wolfhounds? He introduced the dogs, ages he claimed were above the average for their breeds, ages 17 to 25. I found a review of this food which said it was a plant based food with a moderate amount of chicken meal, gave it 3 stars. Ingredient list didn't appear to contain every protein source you could think of. I could shoot myself for picking out the Evo red meat formula for Lady - forgot about not such a good idea to have a food with so many proteins. Will make it hard to do an elimination diet on her, then again I have no idea what she ate before we got her. The Evo has just about all the common proteins, lamb, salmon, bison to name a few. I read the bag and thought this has everything but elephant. We had to use rabbit for Taffy, but even that didn't really nail down her allergies. It wasn't until we did the saliva test that we found out she was allergic to practically everything.

So back to the Gentle Giant brand again. Was wondering if anyone has run across this food. Hard to imagine a food that is going to increase your pets life span that you can buy at Wal Mart.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: Gentle Giants Dog Food

Postby Sabine » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:07 pm

The food is a grocery store level product and the rescue is a shady operation. I would stay far away from both.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:16 pm

That's what I was thinking. I just couldn't see a half way decent brand at Wal Mart. I thought it was expensive for Wal Mart.

Riddick

Postby Riddick » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:59 am

I was told the food is basically repackaged Kirkland (Costco brand) food.

gentlegiantnews.com To give you an idea of the kind of people Burt and Tracy Ward are and how they treat their dogs and potential adopters. Besides charging $1,000+ per dog, they always seem to have puppies of all sorts of breeds. Great Danes, Wolfhounds, Newfs, and on. A large majority of people believe they are a puppy mill using the name rescue as a front.
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Saw him again this morning on KTTV Fox 11 this time. He said something about his food not coated with oil and claimed his dogs were living double their normal lifespans on his food. Some of the stuff he said made sense. Talked about feeding in elevated bowls, avoiding bloat by not exercising an hour before meals and an hour later. No worries about that here going into a heat wave again, so their hermits, just out to take care of business real fast, then back to the cool house.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”