Thyroid testing?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
KatrinH

Thyroid testing?

Postby KatrinH » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:58 am

Hello all,

I am thinking about testing Ranger's thyroid. I had it tested in August, but the vet only tested T4, which apparently is not the full thyroid pannel to test. I was recommended to test T4, T3, TSH and antibodies.

Reason: Since September 2015 he has now 4 times shown airsnapping/lip lifting to people -- all the 2 years before he has always been super happy and excited about meeting everyone, never any signs of discomfort, reactions, etc. to people (only 2 times showing insecurities which in 2 years I find not a lot considering how many people he has met in that time). He goes to people all happily, even now, then 1-2 min later "reacts", then a few minutes later after a toy or treat he is all back to wanting to play and petting... :hmm: All 4 people have been different, woman, man, short, tall, darkhaired, light haired, etc. its happened outside, onlead, offlead, etc. I cannot see a pattern at all or a clear reason.

While he was always noise sensitive he developed noise fear around July/August 2015, which is why I had the thyroid tested in the first place (didn't know at that point I needed to ask for all values or else I only get T4...which btw was 1.7, normal values was given as 1.00-4.00).

Any other recommendations? Of course I am managing for now and if the thyroid comes back clear and everything I guess I either just misinterpreted his behavior for 2 years (feels unlikely given I also had trainers, etc) or just something changed, he is only 3, so he could still be settling into his personality, idk.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Thyroid testing?

Postby Moemer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:48 pm

I think you can never go wrong investigating health causes for behaviour! Have you sent it to Dodds, or do the full profile with your own vet? Any pasin assessments?
What sort of training were you doing? It's not unusual to see lots of shifts up until 3ish yrs old, but anything new or weird I'd still want to check out.
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:28 am

I would just have a vet do it and send it to their labs. I'm in Europe ;)

I actually may wait until September though. I am graduating with my Masters in August and will likely move again. I think I'd feel better doing it with one vet instead of potentially having values from one than havig to deal with seeing another, etc.

He is healthiest he as ever been, we finally have his digestion issues fully under control, he is a healthy weight, active, etc. no pain signs at all for anything.

I think it is either his thyroid (he is dificult to work with sometimes, which is a symptom of thyroid problems, but of course does not have to be) or he is just testing his boundaries or I don't know. Like I said, I do not see a pattern in who he does it too and I know that me now getting nervous because I have seen him do it is not helping at all. I will try and keep an eye on it closely and get his thyroid checked within the next couple months just to be sure.

Any "training" advice? I am not really sure if he is doing it out of insecurities, because it does not quite make sense to me that he would suddenly be insecure around people after never having had an issue for 2 years? :ooo: So I am not quite sure how to deal with it best.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:58 pm

Is he around 3 years old now? That seems to be kind of a magical age for dogs to have behavior changes one way or the other.

Maybe go back and treat all introductions like you're socializing a puppy again. Treats from you for polite behavior, keep an eye on him for the first 5-10 minutes, or ask people to ignore him for 5-10 minutes after the initial greeting.

He really keeps you guessing, doesn't he?!

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:42 am

Yes, he was estimated to be born Feb 2013.

The strange thing is, he starts greeting as usual, then 1-2 Mins after he suddenly goes stiff and lifts his lip/air snaps. Unfortunately he is so super fast with it that I am too slow to react. The last time I saw him go stiff I opened my mouth and before a tone could come out his lip was already lifted...I call him off and tell the person to leave him for now. If it is someone I know that is just new to him and I let him be he ends up bringing a toy over and acts like nothing has happened and as he always has (friendly, cuddly, playful).

It is only with strangers and like I said I cannot truly figure out what it is as none of the people have anything in common for all that I can see. I know part of it now is for sure that I get nervous. I don't think he would actually want to hurt somebody, but he is so quick in his reaction and snapping can cause to accidents, and I really don't want a bite record...

It just all does not make much sense to me and is incredibly frustrating as with his issues with other dogs I could at least always sit back and relax with him around people as he made friends everywhere, now even that is gone :frown:

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”