Leaking Lots of Urine

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Leaking Lots of Urine

Postby Calypso » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:03 pm

I get to learn how well Anti-Icky Poo works on upholstery this week - Havana has been leaking a lot of dilute urine. It's not uncommon for her to drip a bit, but this is way more than usual. Took in a sample this morning and there is nothing in it. I'm torn between putting her back on Proin to see if it's spay incontinence (it seems to come and go and I tend to only remember to refill it if she's been dripping) and taking her in for blood work. My wallet says dear doG, wait! But she's definitely not herself, so we'll go in on Thursday. With the chaos of last year she didn't get her usual yearly blood panel and she'll be 10 in less than a month, so she's due for it.

Is there anything we should be looking for in particular? Pixel has been obsessed with licking up her pee and sniffing her butt, and he's been trying to defend his food dish and couch from her, which he'd normally never dream of doing and she'd never dream of letting him do it, but she is.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Leaking Lots of Urine

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Oh yuck, that is no fun. Fingers crossed it's NBD and some proin will fix it all up.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:14 pm

Is she drinking more too, or only incontinent with normal water intake? Is she more hungry? Pixel licking the pee makes me wonder what it is that is attracting him to it. Could she be diabetic?

Other than spay incontinence, could be that it is normal aging adding to the muscle weakness? Or possibly related to nerve signals and muscle control due to her back issues? I, too, am hoping it's that the Proin is all that she needs.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:48 pm

Poor girlie! If you do bloodwork, be sure SDMA is included (kidneys).

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:16 am

Diabetes occurred to me too - spilling sugar might make the pee attractive to Pixel. Or nerve issues. Here's hoping the vet appointment helps clarify the cause.
So hard to believe Havana is 10 already - seems like she was just a pup a short time ago!
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:46 pm

I was wondering about diabetes too. She doesn't seem to be drinking a lot more, but I haven't paid a ton of attention.

We've been doing cold laser on the section of her back that has the muscle spasms and may be causing or mimicking some of the nerve damage/lameness. 4 sessions have helped an amazing amount and her hair is back to normal. Maybe it is just old organs. I guess I'll know more after the blood work.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:43 am

Did a CBC and chem panel and all is normal. The vet noted some sensitivity and wonders if Havana is backing off from Pixel because she hurts. So she's back on Proin for incontinence and Vetprofin for pain. We'll see where she is with pain after a 2 week course with the Vetprofin and if necessary look to changing up her cold laser/acupuncture and adding something like tramadol or gabapebtin for pain if needed.

I guess knowing her numbers are good is a relief and we'll see what the next couple of weeks being us.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:56 am

Did she do creatinine and BUN ? ( kidney) If not, I would ask for those to be added on.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:06 pm

Did you run a culture on the urine? I think I mentioned elsewhere how culturing has become my go-to for pee test now—the regular kind is just too insensitive to rule out bacteria (I think they miss over 30% of infections, which has been about right for MP, too).

Did the vet say why the urine isn't concentrating as much despite no obvious increase in water intake?

I'm glad that the CBC/Chem came back normal! That's a relief. :) Hope you can get it under control, soon!

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:36 pm

They did run creatinine and BUN. The urine wasn't as dilute as I thought it was, at least not the first morning sample. She did ask some diabetes related questions, but there hasn't been much weight change and her blood sugar was good.

If she's not looking better in 2 weeks, I'll send out a sample to be cultured. Finances are currently a consideration. My ex paid into the state come support fund on time, but no one knew or realized that there will be a 10 business day hold, which makes my payment 3 weeks late.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:57 pm

I hear you about $$$! Glad it wasn't as dilute—good sign for sure. :) I had no idea it would be so disorienting when they get older—you can't tell if it's "just age-related" or "disease which must be fixed"—especially when they'd been blessed with good health while younger. Exhausting, really! Hugs to you guys.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:29 am

I'm really glad blood work came out okay. I didn't want to post gloom and doom but when Skye started leaking I thought it was a UTI and she was actually starting into kidney failure. Hopefully the new meds will do the trick.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”