Anal glands: Do I really need antibiotics?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Anal glands: Do I really need antibiotics?

Postby MaisyPancakes » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:00 pm

MP doesn't usually have any anal gland issues, but recent softer poops and her gimpy gait I think contributes to them not emptying properly sometimes. Anyway, She's had them expressed 2x in her life, all within the last 2 years. When we did them, it was per suggestion by the rehab vet before full or uncomfortable ones can sometimes increase lameness—and, they happened to be (just one, each time). Yesterday, she was extra gimpy in the rear during her hydrotherapy, so I mentioned that to the tech, and although she found one of them full-ish, she couldn't express without making MP wince-yelp (mild). So, the tech went to ask the rehab vet, who did not see her but from the description of events, thought I should get her on abx. She's also done a course of the same kind back in Jan or so, as a precaution when she bled a little from a joint injection. Precaution, then, because she's older and is considered fragile.

I asked my regular vet if doing abx is normal course of action for anal sacs that simply can't be expressed without pain, and the only other possible sign is that she was gimpier. FWIW, she gets gimpier for various things, including the weather which is currently supposed to be terrible for joint pain. I didn't hear anything back from the vet, but got a call from the front desk saying that the Clindamicyn is ready to be picked up. So, I'm assuming it's regular protocol when you can't squeeze it?

It feels like compressing or something would help ease this thing out (I have never done it myself and don't think I should practice on her now)? Or is it just FUBAR and it's just one of those things? Do you really not need a doctor to examine if she needs the abx or not?? I don't mind abx if she needs it, but just found it kind of odd that no one except the one tech who tried to express saw her, and she is to go on abx.

ANYWAY! Just running this by ODO to see what you guys think. I can also call the vet and ask for an explanation, but am in a loud place and can't at the moment. Any input is appreciated—thanks! :)

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Anal glands: Do I really need antibiotics?

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:12 pm

well, the good news is that the vet chose the proper abx so yay for that.

i'm not sure what to say about MP actually needing the abx.

i think i'd take MP in for another vet visit, AFTER you do warm epsom salt compresses for a few days, to see if they can express that AG w/o owies and if so they can tell you if there's any infection/blood in the AG goo. i'm pretty sure a vet visit will be less $ than the abx and if it turns out she doesn't need them then yay.

i hope this makes sense.... i'm super tired and my eyes hurt from too much screen time.
feel better MP, AG drama is no fun at all.

ETA: i do not think you should try to express the AG yourself.... i've seen a few very bad outcomes from DIY AG expressions.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:06 pm

That doesn't sound like a good plan to me. I am super hesitant to just throw abx at things willy-nilly though. Warm compresses, soak in Epsom salts if she'll sit in a bath? Add some fiber to her diet? And second opinion if things flare up. I wouldn't attempt to express it yourself since you are not experienced and this one is stubborn.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks, friends! I thought I had updated the post but for some reason it's gone! What I meant to say was, she's had a few weird off and on things (goopy eye, still-weird poops) recently that they were basically thinking, why the hell not give it a try. I totally hear you all about unnecessary abx—so it took a bit for me to process, but I guess they didn't even want to go exploring after it was unsuccessfully messed with, and the regular clinic seemed to think they were being nice by not making me see a dr ($$$). They didn't want me to wait and see because they were more afraid of stuff getting worse than the abx...so, I just said ok. :/ I think she is now considered generally high risk or something?? We've been more "nip it in the bud" lately. I do feel like I should have insisted that she be seen, but was just kind of exhausted and didn't want to fight it. I really wanted to get her poops better, and for some reason abx has actually helped them in the past. (Can't say for sure it was the abx, but she's never gotten worse, fwiw.) I hope I don't end up regretting this too much! Thanks again!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”