CAT-related: excessive urine?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

CAT-related: excessive urine?

Postby Jen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Scout is still peeing on the floor. She reduced the frequency for a while with a switch to clay litter but went back to "normal" after a few months and I recently switched back to Swheat Scoop because it's easier to clean up and not as panic inducing if Bella gets into it (which she does about 2-3 times a year). :o

Anyway, I've noticed lately that when she does pee, she pees a ton. She rarely drinks, gets most of her water from canned food, I guess. But her pee covers about a 1' by 5" spot and is deep enough to be a puddle on the linoleum. It takes several large wads of TP to get it all up.

Should I be concerned by this excessive amount? Her pee puddles did not used to be this large. The only thing I coould google was UTI, diabetes, and bladder infection. She doesn't have the other symptoms for diabetes, and it's not excessive urination attempts; it's excessive amounts a normal amount of attempts. And every time we've taken her in for UTI/bladder check, she's fine.

Thoughts?

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: CAT-related: excessive urine?

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:27 am

If she is holding it because she doesn't want to use the litter box for some reason, then one would expect the pool of pee on the floor to be larger than usual - ie, she holds it until she is ready to burst and then just lets loose (kinda like people when we wait too long). That is still worrisome, but it does explain the larger pee puddles.
Is the surface (Lino) where she is peeing outside the box the same as before? If not, is it possible the previous surface was absorbing some of the pee and the quantity is really the same?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Is it excessive urine a few times a day or does she go all the time and there's more urine? Sadie had kidney failure where her urine wouldn't concentrate so she peed tons often. Our vet said it was a symptom of old-age mostly and it started when she was about 10. We went to better, watered-down wet food and that helped a lot just to minimize the damage.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:44 pm

That's interesting, Ashley. I've noticed Chai seems to pee more. It's either big puddles or several smaller puddles - thankfully all in the litter box. But she's 15 now, so that makes sense that her kidneys are getting old.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:49 pm

Ugh! I don't think she's holding it. She pees 2-3 times a day, at least once on the floor if not all three times. It's the same flooring, so I don't think it's an absorption issue.

I am now officially worried about kidneys and will take her to the vet again. The spots are also much more dilute than they used to be. And she is 12 (hard to believe with how she thunders around the house at top speed getting into trouble). Plus, I just discovered a few days ago that the bag of kibble we use for treats for her expired *last June.* :( She doesn't get as many treats as she used to, and I just never thought about it. And rancid kibble can cause kidney damage. My stomach is in knots just thinking about it.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:59 am

Oh, Jen, that is very stressful. It is hard for me to believe she would eat the kibble treats if they were truly rancid - don't cats have pretty good sense of smell? Hope vet finds cause and it is NBD.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:30 am

Good thoughts. I didn't know that rancid food could cause kidney issues. I just figured upset stomach.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”