Seizure, maybe?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
tzumom100
Settling in

Seizure, maybe?

Postby tzumom100 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:58 am

Hi folks, I need some opinions please! I think my almost 11 year old Shih Tzu, Jasmine, may have had a seizure yesterday morning. My younger Tzu was barking at Jasmine while she was laying on her blanket, I walked by & Jasmine stood up to walk & took a step & fell to her side, her back legs wouldn't work, she got up & fell over again & then was rolling on her back paddling all her legs, this all lasted maybe 30 seconds tops. She's never done anything like this before, that I've seen at least. I picked her up & her pupils seemed huge. I held her for a few minutes & when I put her down she walked away like normal & went & laid down & took a nap. Having never seen a seizure before, does that sound like what it could have been, or maybe something else.

I am calling the vet tomorrow to get an appointment for bloodwork & a physical. She doesn't have any medical issues I know of besides environmental allergies.

Thanks!

Rita

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Seizure, maybe?

Postby JudyL » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Could be syncope, if not a seizure. With syncope the dog will sometimes go stiff with head drawn back and do some paddling with the legs as well. With the fainting, the dog can seem very normal afterward, whereas with a seizure may seem more tired, dazed, confused.

If it happens again, check for breathing and note the color of gums and tongue. Try to get counts on respiration and heart rate too, as those will help the vet determine if it's a seizure or a fainting episode.

Good luck and do let us know what you find out.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Yes, what Judy said. Eddie experienced both (he had grand mal seizures as the result of a brain tumor, and syncope due to a bad heart murmur and exacerbated by the seizure activity. Your description was more like his syncope episodes. However, there can certainly be overlap of symptoms, especially with petit mal seizures. Hopefully your vet will be able to rule out anything serious.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

tzumom100
Settling in

Postby tzumom100 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:06 am

We had a vet appointment last night & all her blood work is excellent for a dog her age according to the vet & her heart sounds great. She's sure it was a seizure, so she just wants me to call & update her if it happens again since this was the only one she's had.

Rita

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:49 am

Fingers crossed that you never have to make that call and this was a one off occurrence!

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:24 am

I would say that sounds like a seizure to me and you might ask the vet if they can check her blood pressure. With your comment on the extreme dilation of her pupils, it could be at play as a cause for idiopathic epilepsy and, if so, is easy to control.

vivilee

Postby vivilee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:25 am

Check her liver values as well. When they go off by a lot it can cause tachycardia which in turn can make her feel faint.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”