Brenna and loose stool

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Brenna and loose stool

Postby Kathleen » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:41 am

So Brenna started with some pretty knarly loose stools last Saturday. I fasted her Saturday with broth then started her on rice and chicken Sunday.
Within a day or so she was just going once or twice a day at the usual times but stool was liquid. She has had one or two solid stools in the week but mainly watery stuff. This seems to be a pattern with her. She rarely has problems, the last time Echo was still alive so about a year ago. It seems that once she goes though it takes forever to get her back to normal. Even when I treat with Flagyl. She has been on slippery elm and probiotic all this time. Her appetite and energy level are all normal. At what point do you think I should take her in. I don't love putting her on antibiotics specially when they really haven't helped that much in the past.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Brenna and loose stool

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:06 pm

Can you firm up her stools with fiber like pumpkin or some other squash? It may be worth trying before you go and do abx.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:33 am

Something I read once said that rice for some dogs can make diarrhea worse. They suggested pumpkin and chicken instead of rice. I guess the idea was that rice sticks around too long and irritates the intestines or ferments or something. I can't recall the details. Maybe try switching to a different bland diet? A week of loose stools is enough to make anyone crazy. Clean up is a nightmare. I would say if you can't get her cleared up by Tuesday you should take her in. 10 days says you put forth a good effort at home and you need bigger guns.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:41 am

Yikes, my go-to has always been a day or two of Flagyl and then bland food and probiotics -- if that's not giving better results, I too would get the vet involved. There may be something going on in the gut that still needs to be addressed? :thumbdown:

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:40 pm

You might want to try Tylan instead of Flagyl. You can get the powder version for livestock for pretty cheap and fill capsules or hide in food.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:19 am

Well I took her in Sunday and they started her on Flagyl. She cleared up almost immediatly. My dogs love making liers out of me. ;) That's okay though I was just happy she was doing better. We did a fecal and sure enough she was positive for Giardia! So I will be adding Panacur today. She is doing fine now symptom wise. I will treat all the dogs just because even though they aren't showing symptoms there is no way they weren't exposed.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:38 pm

thank goodness for answers, but ugh, I'm sorry you're dealing with giardia.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:27 pm

Giardia. Blech. My vet says he has seen a sharp uptick in positive giardia tests that he believes is due to the higher incidence of reclaimed water for irrigation. Who knows? I'm sorry you have to deal with it!

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:13 am

Oh no! We just had a positive giardia diagnosis right before christmas (fun) and still not 100% sure if we are rid off it yet (given the false negatives with these tests, will never know 100%).

Remember cleaning, cleaning, cleaning with giardia :-( and apparently the regular cleaning stuff doesn't kill it, so I got "Halamid" online which seems to be pretty much the only thing that kills it (not sure if it's sold in the U.S. too), used it to clean the floors and also his crate and where ever else he'd like to lay. Also put some in a spray bottle to treat some furniture, although I heard it's better to treat it with heat but that wasn't possible in my MOm's house. Everything I could I dosed off with boiling water (bowls everytime I used them, chuckit, etc.) and washed all blankets, towels, etc. especially those he laid on everyday at highest temperature (90 celcius).

I think that helped in him not picking it up straight away again, but as said, given that it's never 100% that you truly got rid off it or he picked it up outside again, it's a bit frustrating.

Good luck!

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:03 am

Yesterday was the last day of the Panacur. I have to say the Panacur didn't agree with tehem and we had even more problems, but hopefully they will settle down now. Luckily Banzai never had any trouble.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”