I am ready to neuter Zeke and amputate his tail. His tail breaks open multiple times per day. He breaks it on my legs and even on his own body. He's just a voracious tail-wagger. The tip bothers him more and more and he spends more time fussing over it so I know it hurts. And there is blood all over my house. Confining him outside is a fate worse than death to him. He hates to be separated from the family. So the tail is definitely going. I am hoping to keep 2/3 of it like a traditional dock.
Neuter is decided. He will not be bred. He will DQ in shows so it's not worth the investment and time to show him. I look forward to hopefully being able to let him play on the daycare floor at work, and maybe get just a tad more focus out of him when he isn't distracted by pretty girls and competing boys. I have no illusions though and understand that neutering may make no difference at all in his energy or focus.
So here is my problem. When a practiced eye watches him walk, he favors his right hind leg ever so slightly. You can see that his right thigh muscle is underdeveloped as compared to the left. This leg suffered the most from the pano episodes he had. It was the most lame and for the longest time. Is this continued pano? I don't know. Is it a product of an underdeveloped muscle from being off for so long? Maybe. I was putting off his neuter as long as possible to protect his bones. I was hoping for 2 yrs, but the tail cannot wait. I don't want to do the surgeries separately. He is currently 14 months old. Still pretty immature, both in mental and physical attributes. He has started to broaden in the chest in the last month or so and looks less gangly. I have the money for the surgery. I don't have money to do diagnostics on an almost imperceptible limp. We just got a $2000 bill for my daughter getting two stitches. Joy. My thought is to prohibit all out runs and crazy jumping like we did when we suspected ACL tear before. Leash walks and mental exercise along with some strengthening exercises in a few weeks. Maybe combining his surgery with this forced rest will be a good combo. I could maybe add an X-ray or two during his surgery as well to see if anything is amiss.
But is a neuter at this point too detrimental to his growth plates? It's possible they are closed. He hasn't grown taller in about two months. I just don't want him to be hurt and unable to hike or do agility. But I feel trapped by the freaking tail. It has to go asap. The end is starting to look like it's dying and if it becomes necrotic we are looking at infection and loss of more tail. Help! I feel like Icome here in desperation often. Thank you to everyone who reads my sagas and offers even moral support.