Toenail discoloration

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Toenail discoloration

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Max is licking at his left hind foot like it's bothering him. I looked at it tonight, thinking there was a burr in the hair buried down next to the toe crease, instead I noticed the nail looked funny. Max has black nails and I noticed the second toenail from the outside seems to be fading to a more transparent reddish brown color with lighter stripe on the top ridge of the nail instead of being opaque black. All the other nails seem normal, he's not limping and it doesn't seem to be affecting the toe. Other than licking it, do you think I need to be worried or can I wait until his next nail trim to have the vet eyeball it? He'll probably go back in for a trim right after Valentines Day.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Toenail discoloration

Postby JudyL » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:29 pm

It could be related to his Cushing's disease or whatever meds you are treating that with, or other changes related to normal aging. Unless it becomes more bothersome or he is having other symptoms of illness, it sounds like something that could wait for the nail trim appt coming up so soon.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Re: Toenail discoloration

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:20 am

Maybe try epsom salts soak, in case it's a foreign matter type thing? It's so hard to see around the toe, even if you clip all the hair!

Some of MP's previously black nails turned that same transparenty-stripey thing at one point and it FREAKED me out, too. Was told very matter-of-factly that it's just something that happens with age or just because. So, like Judy said, that particular color change shouldn't be an issue. :)

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”