Putting weight on an Iggy

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Putting weight on an Iggy

Postby Calypso » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:23 pm

A friend has a 10 year old Italian greyhound with an auto immune disease. She just had a dental and they found bone fragments from her ground raw diet stuck behind her molars which caused some infection.

Emma should weigh 8.5 - 9 lbs and she's been consistently losing weight. Most recently she's at 7.7 lbs. She's getting about 8 ounces of raw, which is up a good amount. My friend is reluctant to give her much fat which would put weight on her more quickly but is concerned about pancreatitis.

Blood work is beautiful. Appetite is great. Energy level is usual. Any suggestions for additions? She was thinking satin balls, but I recommended against that. She eats at least 3 meals per day.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: Putting weight on an Iggy

Postby Sabine » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:37 pm

Carbs should do the trick. Think of a typical raw diet as "Atkins" - while it is possible to overfeed a dog to such an extent that it will become fat, it's not as likely as with kibble (~50+% carbs).

Grain or no grain doesn't matter unless the dog is sensitive to something specific. Adding some sweet potato, or oats, or pasta etc. should work well.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Putting weight on an Iggy

Postby Kathleen » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:52 am

I agree my sighthound needs some carbs to keep weight on. I have gone to Quinoa because it is small and I can sneak it into the food more easily.
Mashed potato would be the same I would think.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”