Titer testing

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
KatrinH

Titer testing

Postby KatrinH » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:51 am

So, Ranger was up for his DHPPV booster in December, which I didn't give him because he was dealing with giardia.

I am thinking about doing titers instead, but I was wondering if I even need to?

Ranger got his immunization from the shelter and as far as I know they just followed the usual procedure given they did not know if he had his puppy shots. I updated his rabies a year later, which is now not due until 2017.I did titer testing then (July 2014), which came back good except for Parvo. I didn't revax immediately because he had his diarrhea issues then. In December 2014 he then received his DHPPV and bordatella booster as he had to go into boarding. I thought DHPPV was for 3 years too but it says that his booster was due December 2015?

I am reluctant to give him another booster so soon, but titer testing is very expensive here and I wonder if you would recommend me doing it or it might as well wait?

PS: German vets and also the one I spoke to here in Scotland want me to vax lepto, but I say no, agree?

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Titer testing

Postby SherriA » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:56 am

I titre every 4 - 5 years, assuming good results. I don't know how or why I came up with that interval, but once I see good titers then I feel confident we're OK for a few years. If Ranger had a good immune response to everything else, I'd just titer for parvo (since you haven't seen a good result for that yet) and feel OK leaving the others for a couple more years. One of the vets I talked to recommends titers over vaccinations, but he recommends every 3 years. He explained that reasoning to me, but it was several years ago and I don't remember it now. Maybe because it was the same interval as the vaccines would have been given? I'm drawing a blank.

I wouldn't vax for lepto unless I was in an area that was high risk, and even then I'd be wary because from what I've read the vaccine isn't very effective against some common serovars, much like bordatella.

Here's a pretty easy to understand article about it: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... table=true

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:17 am

Thanks Sherri. His results from July 2014 were as follows:

CDV IgG POS @ 1:1250
CAV POS @ 1:256
CPV-IgG NEG

As mentioned he got the DHPPV combo booster the following December, since they do not do a parvo one alone.

I have not been at the vet clinic here yet, but had emailed them if they do titer testing.

Yeah, I'm not happy with what I read about the lepto vaccine, so I think I will hold off even if it seems to be a typical thing to vaccinate in Europe.

I do not plan on boosting the bordatella, as he is not going into boarding any time soon where he may need it and his contact with other dogs directly is limited in comparison to other dogs as he does not get on with so many dogs (occassionaly runs with them and plays fetch with his buddy but no direct bodily contact)

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 pm

I don't titer at all because I will never revaccinate. (Not talking about rabies here, but everything else.) Once my dogs are adults with mature immune systems, nothing in the DHLPPC cluster is going to prove fatal, should they contract it. It's also not proven that a low or nonexistant titer is any predictor of lack of immune response, so I save my money. :grin:

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:11 am

Connie, since Ranger tends to have GI issues which may also affect his immune system though (I mean, from what I read dogs that get giardia do usually also tend to have a weakened immune system), would you reconsider titer?

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:38 pm

That's the catch-22, Katrin -- a dog with a sub-par immune system should *not* be vaccinated, and almost certainly won't derive much benefit from a vaccination.

When my first Sheltie Briar Rose had dermatomyositis, my then-vet vaccinated her (to death, as it turns out) and way back then, when I asked tentatively if that was necessary, he said yes, it was, "because with her weakened immune system, she needs the protection of vaccines even more." He said that. A sure tipoff that he slept through his Immunology 101 class, the stupid twit. A sub-par (weakened, sick, etc.) immune system CAN'T MOUNT A RESPONSE to a virus when confronted with the vaccine dose of a virus, so the vaccine confers no benefit and still has enormous potential for harm.

Briar Rose died at age 9 1/2. I will never, ever buy that particular line of veterinary shite again. I now know, very well, that dermatomyositis is *not* a death sentence -- unless you continually administer modified live viruses by injection, bypassing the body's functioning immune responders (skin, lungs) and just pretty much poisoning the dog.

Yeah, I'm still bitter. It was only 17 years ago. I haven't let go of the grudge yet.

So in answer to your question: no, the sub-par immune system only confirms my "will NEVER re-vaccinate" stance, and if I am never going to re-vax, why do I give a rip what titer readings are?

Rabies = whole other story.
Last edited by connie on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:51 pm

The only reason I titer is because Havana does therapy work and I may board both dogs at some point. I need to verify, but I think the clinic that owns my first choice boarding kennel will accept Havana being almost 10 and showing protective titers in the past as enough proof not to have to titer or vaccinate again. I'm pretty sure by the time Cousteau hit 12 they didn't ask.

If my dogs were companions that hung around the house and who's primary job was to hike with me, I probably would save the money as well.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:24 pm

A couple of my dogs compete in dog sports, but in 23 years of that, I have never -- not once -- been asked one question about any vaccination status of any dog. It may happen other places, but I've never encountered it. To get Alex certified in therapy work, he will need a current rabies vax (which he has), but I'm told that no other vaccinations are required, given that he has a health certificate from his vet declaring him free of diseases and parasites. I'm hopeful that therapy troupes are finally seeing the light on the vax issue, but I'm probably too optimistic on that score.

As for the boarding issue, it's cheaper for me to have a petsitter stay in my home, given the number of dogs I have; so I avoid that problem pretty neatly. :grin:

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:11 am

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I decided to just not titer and wait until I may need to vax for a reason again (e.g. if he has to go into boarding, which unfortunately atm every single one I went to always required it). His rabies is up to date and I wouldn't vax right now anyway given his recent giardia issues.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:57 pm

I have the same philosophy as connie on this.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”