Fire Ant Bites

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Fire Ant Bites

Postby EllaBella » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

So, late last night Kirby did a thorough investigation of a fireant hill (I couldn't see what he was doing in the dark) with his fluffy little face. Many stings, I pulled 20+ ants out of his face fluff, plus he rubbed many off onto the grass before I realized what was happening. The facial swelling was so bad and he seemed to be in such agony--simultaneously stiff and floppy, I took him to the ER and they gave him a shot of benadryl and steroids.

The generalized swelling is all down this morning and his lips and tongue are normal sized, but he has lots and lots of the sting marks, including some really large pustules where they must have held on and stung for a while. They are even on his lips and eyelid.

So, soon, they will do that gross and really itchy oozing itching crusting thing that fire ant stings do. I'm not sure if I should try to trim his face fluff short (he is still clipper averse but I can scissor it to be shorter)? Regularly wash his face so they don't get infected but leave the fluff? Is there anything I should put on them? Little dude is still miserable today and grouchily rebuffed Fraggle when she tried to get him to play. I just hope he learned to not do that ever again (he was stung on the foot once and went 2 hours without using the leg so he might have a flair for the dramatic).

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Fire Ant Bites

Postby JudyL » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:12 pm

When they get to the crusty, itchy, and healing stage, I'd probably keep him on Benedryl until he gets through with the itchies.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:55 pm

Poor little guy. I second the Benadryl for itchy control. Hope he's better soon.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Oh poor little guy. You're having a lot of vet bills lately. I only know fire ants via facebook but I think by the sounds of it I might leave his hair alone for now since I presume it will get less itchy / sore as time passes? If you feel like it needs to be trimmed maybe he'll be feeling a bit better.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:09 am

Oh, good call to just dose him with benadryl. I always forget about benadryl as an ongoing option.

It's cold and misting here (we have not seen the sun in 12 days now) and he felt much better yesterday after a long walk in the cold mist. I'm guessing that felt really nice on the owies.
Last edited by EllaBella on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:10 am

Poor Kirby! I know nothing about fire ants, but this sounds just awful for the little dude.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:49 am

I googled fire ants--what nasty buggers!

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:22 pm

I googled fire ants--what nasty buggers!
Seriously. They are evil invasive monsters. This time of year the hills pop up in a day.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:55 am

Last spring there were several news items on the invasion of these ants into BC - some parks have had to put up warning signs, it is so bad. It's thought they have been transported here in bulk soil and plants purchased by nurseries etc for retail or landscaping purposes. There are major infestations in several areas of my island. So far I haven't encountered there bite first hand, but I have seen a few.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Last spring there were several news items on the invasion of these ants into BC - some parks have had to put up warning signs, it is so bad. It's thought they have been transported here in bulk soil and plants purchased by nurseries etc for retail or landscaping purposes. There are major infestations in several areas of my island. So far I haven't encountered there bite first hand, but I have seen a few.
That is scary. I hope they hate the cold and don't move to Alberta! If I have to deal with long, cold winers, I'd like to at least be able to say, "but at least we don't have horrible bugs (other than mosquitos) "

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”