Quick! ER? MP's bump burst and things are hanging out

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Quick! ER? MP's bump burst and things are hanging out

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Uh, just typing that seemed like an answer to my own question, but I am wondering if this is like a big zit burst gone wild that just needs some cleaning, or if t's like a run to an ER situation. It started with a fast growing bump on her side of the neck; I was worried because it seemed to have come on fast and big (within a week, it seemed); she gets laser on neck 2x week so I wondered if that had anything to do w/it, too. ANyway, we had an rehab vet appt tomorrow so I was going to ask her what she thinks. However, tonight, within the last hour, it has burst. I noticed her neck was wet and was WTF-ing about it, and realized that the bump had burst open. It doesn't stink, is mostly watery discharge, but after the liquids it seems to have some "entrails" coming out of it now. I can't tell how big the tear/hole is because I am afraid to mess w/it too much, but big enough for that stuff to come out. Sorry for the gross pics!

ER? Now? If ER, any advice re: what to ask for, what to avoid, etc.? Thanks so much!!
Attachments
goo1.jpg
goo1.jpg (191.86 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
goo2.jpg
goo2.jpg (101.62 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
goo3.jpg
goo3.jpg (154.01 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Quick! ER? MP's bump burst and things are hanging out

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Wow, that does look gross and very weird. I would make an e-vert trip.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Oh dear, that seems evet worthy. :( And I'm very hesitant to go to the evet because of cost and because I'm always sure they're just going to say, "IDK, check with your regular vet." (Based solely on my *one* evet experience where that happened. :rolleyes: )

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks, guys! Just called the e-vet and they thought she should come in, just to reduce the risk of infection because it is basically an open wound. They didn't seem to think it was urgent in terms of severity of the injury, per se, which was a relief—but that we should try to keep it from getting infected. Argh! Leaving soon!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:13 pm

Whoa, ok! What was this bump she had? That looks kind of strange to me too. Could this have been an injury or poke from something that built up fluid or a hematoma that finally let loose? At least it doesn't seem to be continually bleeding, which I guess is a good sign?

I know you are probably already at the e-vet by now, but please do update once you know what this is!

ETA - have to ask, uh, nothing was moving or wiggling, right? And damn, talk about bad dreams material right before bed!!!!

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:28 pm

Back home, already! We were in and out super quick, although I went to one about 22 min away instead of the closer one. The vet tenatively called it just a busted cyst, so you called it, Judy! :wink: They shaved and cleaned it up, which revealed a far smaller hole than what it seemed like earlier. (What looked to me like a huge gash apparently was just the "innards" spilling out.) It was pretty anticlimactic to see how small the hole was, but definitely a relief! They said to keep it open-air, warm pack it several times a day to encourage purging of the rest of the gunk. There's still some stuff in there but didn't squeeze it all out because it wouldn't be "fair" to her. (Which I thought was a cute thing to say.) I'm supposed to have it lanced or something if it won't heal up in a few days. Apparently these things explode often. MP's a total bumpasaurus but none have ever burst! I just got charged for the exam. $118. They gave me some vet wrap and a gauze thing in case she bugs it. I'm sort of surprised I didn't get charged for the supplies.

Here it is, all cleaned up! Hard to believe this little hole pushed out so much entrail-y stuff! This is a much better image to go to bed with. :smirk:
IMG_9700 (1).jpg
IMG_9700 (1).jpg (106.25 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Thank you all for thinking of us! :smile: :love:

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:40 pm

Amazing that the opening looks so much smaller already, but with the pressure off it, then it would do that. That must feel a lot better to be rid of that gunk. Nice about the relatively small amount you were charged too.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks, Judy! I know, I can't believe how little it looks! If it were on my face I would've squeezed the whole thing out of it, but I'll try the warm compress for MP. ;)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:26 am

OMG, I'm SO glad I didn't see this until after the vet visit!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm so glad it's not a big deal thing. Phew. What the heck was the pink snakey looking thing sticking out?

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:32 pm

What the heck was the pink snakey looking thing sticking out?
That's what I wanted to know!

It reminds me of an X-files that DH just watched the other day. *shudder*

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:59 pm

I don't know what the goods were, but the e-vet and all my vets did see the photos and no one said anything about the tentative diagnosis (ruptured cyst), except that the regular vet thought it was in an odd spot. By snakey thing, do you mean the thing that I was calling chicken liver? There was a lot of clotty bloody goo thing going on, and there were more encased white-ish frog eggy things after I gently squeezed it and that's when I stopped! I googled some "ruptured sebaceous cyst" type things and saw similarly disparate innards spewing out of other skin holes, so I just figured it all looks kind of different. Although, I believe the common kind is usually just filled with the white fatty stuff. In any case, I've been doing the warm compress but nothing more has really come out since; there's still a bit of a bump, but I don't think I can get much out of this anymore. It almost feels like thickened skin, the rest of the bump. :/

Thanks for all your comments!!!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Ack! That would have freaked me out too. Glad it wasn't a big deal!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”