Pi panting/anxious after meals

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Pi panting/anxious after meals

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:21 pm

So, one thing to know about all of this is that about a week ago I decreased Pi's kibble by a 1/2 cup at both meals. He looked kinda heavy & it's been so hot they're not running/playing much. I also cut back on Gringo's but he hasn't seemed to notice.

OK, here's the deal:
Pi needed to go out 3-4 times during the night last night b/c he had diarrhea. His tummy was very rumbly & noisy this morning but no more icky poo. I fed him some white rice, apple, banana, pumpkin & tiny bit of chicken broth. He ate it all but very soon after he ate he started panting & pacing around, upstairs, downstairs, lay down, get up, walk around, panting & yawning all the while. He'd do a shake off but only shake head & shoulders,not his whole body or back end.
I started freaking out thinking it was bloat but his stomach was not rigid & his gums looked good. I walked him around outside - he peed a little, kept panting & yawning and was clearly anxious/nervous/very unsettled.
I asked L to take a look at him to see if she thought he needed to go to ER and also to see if the distraction of seeing her would snap Pi out of whatever was going on.
L said it didn't feel or look like bloat to her, no ER needed.
He was a little better after seeing her but still took a while to settle once back inside.
Typically he sleeps for a couple hours after breakfast. I can't tell you the last time he was awake / walking around after eating, he usually sleeps very soundly in the mornings. He did finally settle and lay down but never did really go to sleep.
Fast forward to this evening. He seemed fine so I fed him half his usual amount of kibble along with rice, apple, banana & pumpkin. Same thing as this morning all over again though much more short lived. Eventually he laid down & fell asleep.
Weird. Anybody have any thoughts about this?

ETA: I don't see any drama or weirdness with the other dogs & Pi after he eats. Pi is the only one out after a meal for at least 30 minutes-one hour. The others sleep in their crates.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Re: Pi panting/anxious after meals

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:05 pm

It kind of sounds like it must be some kind of discomfort related to eating—I've had super sharp tummy aches when poops (or air?) shifted oddly in the belly; it'd go away eventually or after I pooped. (You're welcome!) Could he be a wee bit constipated from the extra fiber? Glad he improved a bit this morning.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:47 pm

How is he doing recently? Hope he's better!
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:05 pm

Are any of those foods newer for him or bigger quantity of that food than he has had before. Almost sounds like an allergic reaction.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”