Cruel to withhold pain meds?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Cruel to withhold pain meds?

Postby LisaT_II » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Catching up here.... I"m glad that the chiro found some things to adjust, and that you are supplementing with the homeopathy. The right remedy really can help.

I have a bad knee that responds to joint supplements and chiropractic for the back and hips, and, as mentioned, Max's "knee" problem was really an SI joint issue. If you think that the chiro helped, then you should follow up with it, and then have an occassional adjustment.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Well, now we are dead lame with bone pain on the right hind. I think this has all been pano. Back end catching up to the front. My poor puppy needs a break from this mess. He's 10 months old in a week. Surely we are nearing the end of his growth period. :frown:

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:47 pm

Oh shoot. :( I'm so sorry, Amanda! Is pano something that happens to ALL the freaking limbs? Sucks so badly for everyone. Sending peace and
sanity vibes!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Oh no! Poor Zeke and poor you.

Is pano one of those growth problems in large dogs that is affected by diet? Or could be helped by diet and supplements?

Back to your original question about withholding pain meds, I think he definitely needs something to control the inflammation and for pain management, whether that is a natural product or an Rx from your vet. Nana had very good suggestions for the herbals and are the same sort of ingredients found in products like Dog Gone Pain that you can do formulate on your own without purchasing a product, but those can upset the tummy. I had good luck with the DGP for Chi and Dixie with injuries and joint issues, and when the retired nurse and others at the health food store looked at its ingredients, they agreed that it was a nice product and an interesting combo of ingredients because it contains both herbals and enzymes, whereas other products are either one or the other but not both.

I hope you find something that works for him and that he gets out of this phase soon!

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:16 pm

well, darn :(
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Poor guy. I feel so badly for both of you. Will's growth has sure slowed down (11months) He has filled out a lot in the last month, but not much height growth. I hope Zeke is about done too and these rotten pain episodes are over.
Maybe some slippery elm for his tummy if he needs the dermaxx? My Mom had to take some Big Gun antibiotics that were really upsetting her stomach and I gave her slippery elm and it made a big difference--my first human use of them to be able to report on results.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”