Water containers

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Water containers

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:54 am

In the past I always just kept a gallon plastic water jug in the back of my truck to water the dogs. Sometimes I bought a new one and sometimes I would just refill it.
Now I'm reading that is really bad to reuse plastic water bottles and that storing them where the temperature reaches over 80 degrees is dangerous too. I'm really at a loss as to how I can transport enough water for my dogs when we go to trials and such. What is everyone else doing ?

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Re: Water containers

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:46 am

This is heavy as butt, but I use a gallon glass jug when I need that much at once. If not, I use a bunch of those common stainless canteens, which is easier and lighter to handle/fill.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:03 pm

Where do you get them Nana?

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:12 pm

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:22 pm

I got my glass one from someone who had finished whatever juice that was inside (I think apple often comes in those things?), although I believe you can just buy them, too. (home brewing shops, Amazon, etc.) The stainless canteens I got were from Whole Foods—it's the fairly common kind that you can find in many places. I think they hold about 20 oz? They happened to be dumping them for like a dollar a piece one time so I bought four many years ago. The Cafepress store that I use for my art has a kind that is almost twice as big as the usual ones (like this one: http://www.cafepress.com/nananimals.773632755), which I really like for keeping in the car. A popular brand is Kleen Kanteen but I don't have any of those.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:26 pm

Just saw your link. My thing with any plastics is that, although many now avoid BPA because it's the current High Fructose Corn Syrup of the moment, the newer types are often even less tried/tested (like the Tritan that is used in *everything* now, which has since been found to be even worse...or something), so, who knows what *they* leach out. I've just been sticking w/uncoated stainless steel and glass so I can stop wondering. ;) Heat safe and always easy to clean, too. :)

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:10 am

I ended up with this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G5 ... ge_o00_s00
It is insulated and I liked that, but yikes not cheap. If I like it I will need to get a second one but thought I would work with one for a bit first.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:21 am

I wanted to update. I love this container! It has been 100 degrees plus all week here. I have had it in the back of my truck in a basket and the while the outside would be warm to the touch the water inside was actually cool ! It's fine for around town but I would need a second one for trials I think. I don't have anything scheduled for a few Months so I can start saving my money. ;)

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:23 am

That looks nice! Spendy for sure though. I have been saving water in milk jugs for emergency. I date them and refresh them monthly. I figure it's better than nothing if we are desperate after an earthquake or something. Someday I want to get the big barrels for earthquake preparedness.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”