Pancreatitis resources?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Pancreatitis resources?

Postby Moemer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Anyone have some good resources (general info, feeding, etc) for Pancreatitis? Elsie was sick last week, and tests just came back looking like she's getting over a mild bout.
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Pancreatitis resources?

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:54 pm

I don't have any great resources except to ask if you did the Spec/Snap cPL panel through Idexx that tests for those. Max's tummy is frequently grumbly long after a meal and I had that panel run to rule out pancreatitis. It was rolled into his yearly bloodwork.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:32 am

Yep, it's high. It's 364 with an upper range of 200. :(

The vet sent me this link, but there's not a lot of specifics: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2214
Emily

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:35 am

I just emailed back asking about what to feed in the mean time, explaining that she doesn't tolerate a lot of starch and her diarrhea is unlikely to clear up when she's eating a lot of starch - the answer was that I should give her rice+lean meat (this isn't my usual vet) and that she "doesn't recommend raw - but that's another subject".

I'm going to cook a mix of summer/winter squash since she seems to tolerate that well and use that as the carb. Hopefully that doesn't back fire on me.

And this is what she wants me to feed her:

Water sufficient for processing, pork by-products, rice flour, corn grits, corn meal, powdered cellulose, dried beet pulp, calcium carbonate, guar gum, natural flavors, gelatin by-products, carrageenan, potassium citrate, sodium tripolyphosphate, sodum silico aluminate, taurine, hydrolyzed yeasts, fish oil, vegetable oil, vitamins (DL-alpha-tocopherol acetate [source of vitamin E], L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate [source of vitamin C], biotin, thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B 1], niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement [vitamin B2], pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement), trace minerals (zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, zinc proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate), marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.). - See more at: http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/Vete ... rtTav.dpuf

OR

Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, wheat, barley, natural flavors, dried beet pulp, grain distillers dried yeast, chicken fat, salt, calcium carbonate, fish oil, sodium silico aluminate, psyllium seed husk, potassium chloride, monocalcium phosphate, fructooligosaccharides, hydrolyzed yeast, choline chloride, taurine, DL-methionine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), vitamins (DL-alpha tocopherol acetate [source of vitamin E], L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate [source of vitamin C], biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement), trace minerals (zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate), rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid. - See more at: http://www.royalcanin.ca/index.php/Vete ... txTPE.dpuf

I can't even COUNT the number of things in that that would make her explode.
Emily

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:13 am

Oh man. I know that Dr. Karen Becker is...Dr. Karen Becker, but I remember seeing that she recommends just straight up half/half pumpkin and very lean/barely-any-fat meats (she suggests turkey, I think) during shitty shits, which would also likely work for pancreatitis if you're trying to avoid fats *and* grainy (I'm guessing) starches. I think simpler starches like rice and potato are easily fermentable and perpetuate the bad stuff, so hence the pumpkin.

I just pulled out Monica Segal's book and she is pretty insistent that cooked diet is better for faster healing from pancreatitis. Her sample diet is mostly bluefish, a small amount of beef liver, + long grain white rice, +supps.

And, hydrate lots, and smaller, multiple meals.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Ugh, scrip food is the worst when you've got intolerances to deal with. I like your idea of squash and Nana's pumpkin thoughts.I find them to be least offensive to Max's guts. Would a veggie, pureed to almost baby food be helpful? I assume she's eating fine, it's the explosions and indigestion that are the problem? I also assume pbx are also in the mix, no? Maybe yogurt or keifer?

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:04 pm

And what the Hell are fructooligosaccharides and gelatin by-products? Gelatin is a by product. :crazy:

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:05 am

Fructooligosaccharides are like prebiotics, basically—I think they're usually helpful, but sometimes they can propagate bad stuff?

SCorey
Just popping in

Postby SCorey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:18 pm

I don't have any resources to share but our Chessie Libby dealt with very severe pancreatitis as a pup. We eventually settled on Honest Kitchen Verve (beef because chicken sets her off) supplemented with cooked ground beef. By managing her diet we never had to deal with pancreatitis again.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:09 pm

Thanks all! She's been doing well - she also vomited a portion of a bully stick the other day, either she got is sneakily (we've been careful!) OR it's been in her stomach for a bit. So much for being digestable...
Her poops are back to grade A, eating HK Brave. She has moments of not finishign ehr food, or looking to eat Arlos instead of hers, which is a bit odd but not critical. Still watching that, I guess. (She's also started on selegiline for anxiety/CCD, so that can also cause GI changes, so could be that)
Emily

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”