Recomendations for raw food

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Recomendations for raw food

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:23 pm

I need raw options for a beef food. NV changed their formula and things have been falling to hell ever since. It's the only constant in all of this. He's currently on NV raw and I pay about $6 for ~750kcal (1lb). I'd like to keep the price in that range, the amount of food it takes to get the kcal can vary (ex if 750kcal is 1.25 lbs or .75 lbs but still only costs around $6/750 kcal, that's fine). Max eats 375 kcal/day in diet plus add-ins. Beef does seem to work best. Chicken, turkey and fish (the gas! :sick: ) are a no-go. I haven't tried anything really exotic yet. I haven't had to do this for a few years so I'm out of the loop, which is why the ask. Any ideas? Blerg! And people wonder why I really don't like big changes.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Recomendations for raw food

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:10 pm

I really like Stella and Chewy's frozen raw for Mitzi - she gets the Duck Duck Goose, but has had the beef when the other was unavailable. I can't speak to price where you are (I'm on an island where it is more expensive than on the mainland, and I'm in Canada so shipping costs are likely higher too), but I found it to be midrange here - more expensive than Primal, about the same as Jake and Daisy's, and less than NV Instinct. Can't remember how the calories per lb compare.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:57 pm

I'll look into it, can't hurt. We've bought the same thing for so long because it worked but now something isn't.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:09 pm

I like stella and chewy's too in that it's "complete and balanced" I have only seen the freeze dried here and it's not cheap but my dogs love it.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:15 pm

I confess I'm feeding Will just some locally made raw (though he eats Orijen puppy more often than not right now). the raw I feed is neither complete and balanced nor does it have a full analysis, but it's affordable

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:56 pm

My dogs love the freeze dried Stella and Chewy's beef too. Cinnabon and Benson both eat this at least a couple of times a week and it agrees with them. They both liked and did well on the NV frozen patties too.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:49 pm

I feed Stella &Chewy's frozen, also Northwest Naturals frozen, also Steve's Real Food frozen. You might try the beef in all those, also maybe the lamb?

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Steve's real food frozen was something the pet store had when I stopped in today and i was going to ask if anyone had used it. Oddly, primal was a little cheaper/lb than Stella and Chewy's, bringing it nicely in line with my budget. Steve's was a little cheaper but I noticed Primal was 95% meat 5% other, Steves was 80% meat, 15% other, 5% goats milk and stuff. I think they also had northwest naturals but I didn't check it out thoroughly.The website said they had OC Raw too but I didn't see any. Thoughts?
Last edited by maxs_mommy on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Can you make it yourself? Then you can be really picky and figure out what works the best. I used to feel like I didn't really have time for homemade food but I'm finding it is easier than I thought. I tend to overthink things so I am trying to be more laid back about it and it's working for us for now.

OC raw is at my store here. I believe they had a recent recall.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:10 pm

We did make it for awhile but it got cumbersome sourcing stuff for us. Sabine put together a really nice plan, we just weren't up to it ultimately when there were high quality products for the same or better cash that we could add on to.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:55 pm

I like OC, I've fed that -- but I've fed the fish blend, which I think you said will not suit Max. It's a good brand, though. Primal used to be way more expensive than the other brands I mentioned. However, I think their prices are stratospheric for the unusual proteins, and may be reasonable for beef.
I alternate brands and proteins. My dogs don't eat the same thing two days in a row. It would be nice if you can find a couple of foods that Max likes and that like him. I think variety can assist a healthy digestive system. Of course, I reserve the right to eat multigrain bagels and cream cheese for breakfast EVERY DAY, but my dogs are healthier than I am. :wink:

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Amanda's right, there was an OC recall this year. I don't know that any dogs were reported ill.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor..com/dog-food- ... call-2015/

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:35 pm

Max definitely eats healthier than I do. Nv has a voluntary recall on their chicken formula right now. I think most have had a recall at some point so more concerning to me is how they handle it and resolve the issue (beniful, cough cough).

Some more research leads me back to Primal. The novel proteins were significantly more expensive. I think 6 lbs of rabbit was over $45(!). Primal is at 64 kcal/oz (comparable to NV before the formula change), Steve's was at 38 & Stella and Chewy was at 50. Even though Steve's is $1/lb cheaper, I'd have to feed almost double or make up those calories in extras. They looked like awesome food and I like their business ethics but when all things are relatively similar it does come down to dollars. The pet store even let me read the training manual they get sent for Steve's and I was really impressed with the level of transparency and accountability the company showed.

I should also add that Primal had a buy 2, get one free deal going on. With this month's vet bills, that deal looks really tempting.I think we'll try a run of it and see how he goes. It's good to know that there are options. Stella and Chewy are second choice I think. Steve's would be my 3rd and I would probably go back to nv over bravo. I'd have to feed over a lb. of bravo a day to get the calories he needs based on their analysis, so that's unlikely unless I win the lotto. He wouldn't object to bigger portions but the last thing I want to add to his issues is being overweight.

Connie, fish = gas that smells like the worst lake you've ever been on.

I also have a bison butcher that sells a dog food grind, mostly organs and offal, I can use as a topper. Lamb may work since it's novel but I'll save it for winter since its warming and he tends to run hot anyway.

I feel like I'm stalking the food websites. Bless the folks at the pet food store when I gave them all this info and they still tried to help me find food without pushing me to buy, instead sending me home with pamphlets and offering samples. Neighborhood/local stores really are awesome. I just need to bite the bullet now. I have exactly 8 meals until I'm out so I'll be going back tomorrow.

Edited because: my phone's autocorrect doesn't speak dog food language

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:51 pm

My other thought is about corn feed traditional beef vs. grass fed beef. I know corn doesn't work well for him at all but I don't know if switching will make any difference. I'm going to assume if a label doesn't say grass fed then it's probably feed lot beef and high in corn. S made this observation tonight and it may be worth exploring. If Primal works I won't know if it's the beef specifically or the whole mix but I don't know that it'll be worth exploring at that point either.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 am

I feed home-prepared so had been very much out of the loop for commercial foods, but was surprised to see quite a bit of recalls lately. I totally agree that the frequency and handling of recalls is more important than whether if it has ever happened, but it might be worth checking the current/recent list:
http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/saf ... efault.htm

Stella & Chewy is on there—I think a lot of ODOers feed that brand. Y'all are probably much more on top of this than I am, but just throwing it out there just in case.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”