DHLPP initial series for adult dogs

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

DHLPP initial series for adult dogs

Postby EllaBella » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:43 pm

So, Kirby received a DHLPP vaccination at the rescue on June 3rd. He arrived at my house on July 8 and I brought him to my vet on the 20th for heartworm/fecal/exam. He's something around 3 years old, found as a stray, so no records exist from his previous life.

My vet called me today and they want to do TWO more DHLPPs on him, 3 weeks apart, to consider him vaccinated for that. My vet is normally really reasonable about vaccinations, so I'm kind of confused. Fraggle had 1 when I got her (again, adult dog with no previous records) and then 1 more a year later and we called it good. My vet doesn't even vaccinate for anything other that rabies (unless people request it to board dogs places that require it) after dogs hit 7 years of age.

I'd normally titer, but, with Fraggle's snakebite bills, and Kirby needing to have a major dental surgery for a retained upper canine tooth, I don't know if spending that $175 to titer makes sense when I'm looking at 2k-ish of bills on top of major expensive life stuff.

Is there any reason to think Kirby needs TWO more vaccinations 3 weeks apart? would one more, even though we're outside the labeling guidelines be sufficient? Since I have *no* idea if he ever had any vaccinations before he was found, I have to assume he had only that 1. Right now his exposure to dogs is minimal but it will be increasing.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: DHLPP initial series for adult dogs

Postby LisaT_II » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:38 pm

Personally, I would go with one and done. Down the road if you're curious, I'd titer. No way would I blindly give a second vax, much less two more! Clearly the vet has forgotten WHY puppies are revaxed over time - to catch the window when maternal antibodies fade, and antibodies for the different components of the vax fade at different times, this the repeatee vaccinatioms, timed with the growth of the immune system.

Chances are, at 3 years old, he may have had some previous vaccines as a young dog too, maybe.

I had a vet try to do this with a stray I brought home in March. The final adopter thankfully stuck with the single vax (at least that's what she told me).
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:21 pm

That seems odd to me too.
I'd refer to Dr R Schultz's stuff (I liked his videos on youtube and really good despite Dr Becker being really annoying) because his recommendations are evidence based. What I remember of his stuff, Kirby would only need one set because he's over 16 weeks. Unless he's one of the rare non-responders, he should be good.
Personally I'd just do the one set and maybe consider a booster at a year from that first dose. He appears to be a nice little dog in good shape. So I'm guessing he'd seen a vet at some point, in which case I wouldn't want to do 3 doses when they could actually be dose 7, 8 and 9 -or more.

My vet's policy is puppy shots should be 4 weeks apart, not 3, and the last one should be at at least 12 weeks of age (not younger in case maternal antibodies are interfering). So Will only had two sets because his first was at 9 weeks, so the second was at 12 and he'll have a booster a year after the last set.
The one thing I don't know about though, is the lepto part, because we don't do that one here.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:36 pm

3. A high percentage (98%) of core puppy vaccines given between 14-16 weeks of age will provide immunity against parvovirus, distemper and adenovirus for many years, and probably for the life of the animal
from pg 2: http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/file ... 2013_0.pdf
That is, one shot once the immune system is mature will provide long lived immunity, probably even lifetime immunity. From the videos mentioned above, the 2% for which it doesn't, typically are non-responders anyway.

Age and Longterm Immunity
http://vaccicheck.com/wp-content/upload ... chultz.pdf
The present study examines the DOI for core viral vaccines in dogs that had not been revaccinated for as long as 9 years. These animals had serum antibody to canine distemper virus (CDV), canine parvovirus type 2 (CPV-2) and canine adenovirus type-1 (CAV-1) at levels considered protective and when challenged with these viruses, the dogs resisted infection and/or disease. Thus, even a single dose of modified live virus (MLV) canine core vaccines (against CDV, cav-2 and cpv-2)or MLV feline core vaccines (against feline parvovirus [FPV], feline calicivirus [FCV] and feline herpesvirus [FHV]), when administered at 16 weeks or older, could provide long-term immunity in a very high percentage of animals, while also increasing herd immunity.
Max-n-Indy

germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:15 am

I agree with no more vaccines. As has been said already, the only reason puppies are supposed to get multiples is if there's a high chance maternal antibodies are still in effect. And even so, in most of Europe for example it's a series of two for puppies, not three.

There is no need to assault an adult dog with that many vaccines, and especially not a 5-way. You can ask around if any vets in your area offer VacciCheck in-house. That should run you nowhere near half the cost of regular titers. The cost to vets is about $25 or so per test comb.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:08 pm

I also would not do any more vaccines. All the rescue dogs that I've adopted over the years, I have never repeated vaccines. If I have the record of the shots the rescue or shelter gave, my vet starts the file with that and we go from there. More DHLPPC vax now are unnecessary, IMO.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:54 am

Thank you!! I appreciate the advice. I was sharing what was up with my vet because they are normally not pushy about vaccines at all. We'll leave him at one. Now to do dental surgery to get that retained upper canine out....

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:41 pm

I would ask about vaccicheck too, my vet charges $40 and it can be done in house. Coincidentally mine charges $45 for "adult" shots unless indicated by low titers to make it more likely that people will titer. I'm not opposed at all. :grin:
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:55 am

totally agree with everyone else. I'd do one and titre if there's concern. That just seems like a bizarre recommendation, especially since you mention that they are usually good about this sort of thing!
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Thought of this thread when I saw this:
http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tum ... n-protocol
Max-n-Indy