Persistantly Restless

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Persistantly Restless

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Max is persistently restless, I thought it was rimadyl but it hasn't abated. This started about two weeks ago with the eye exam and subsequent meds but he's off everything but the abx eye drop and still restless. It only happens at after we get home from work, S says he doesn't do it while she's home on the weekend days. His tummy is full feeling 4 hours after a meal but not hard and he's pretty constantly panting. I gave him a pain +, which is a homeopathic pain pill and that didn't even seem to take the edge off. He won't settle at all, to the point he climbs all over you and will scale furniture to be close and he is normally not a lap dog at all. He's still eating, drinking and eliminating normally. We went on a mile and a half walk tonight and that wore him out for the car ride home. Blood work was done in Feb and Alt and triglycerides were high but nothing way out of wack. I did give him a gas-x, thinking it might be that. He also seems to have a bit of gagging going on where he'll make small vomiting motions with his mouth and throat but nothing ever fully comes up. I'm going to try to get him an appointment on Wed (because you know, I'm made of money) after his 9 am eye doc recheck. I'm also thinking of throwing a pepsid in his mix. I'm just flummoxed because it only happens at night, before and after a meal. During the day he goes right to sleep after breakfast, even on the days I'm off work. Any ideas on what to specifically look for or talk to the vet about? I'm not asking Dr. Google, that's dangerous.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Persistantly Restless

Postby LisaT_II » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 pm

My max had issues that sounded similar, but I bet there is a wide variety of things that could cause this.

Just for fun, shortly after a meal, I would try about 1/4 - 1/2 tablesppon of baking soda mixed with water and syringe in the side of the mouth. It was nothing short of a minor miracle for max, and I use it for jazz too - internal medicine guy said if it works instead of pepcid, it was fine to use (pepcid made jazz vomit). Dogs seem to have a varied reaction to pepcid - some do great, others not so - it does mess up the gut bacteria.

Pancreas issues might be on my radar.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:26 pm

I'll try the baking soda tomorrow. I should also add that walks are usually around 8p, he gets feed at 7. His diet hasn't changed except we went from 1.5 oz of chicken breast to 1.5 oz of 85/15 ground beef to add extra protein. His diet is the same for breakfast and dinner, we just cut his daily portion in half for each meal and he wolfs it down in about 2 minutes flat.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:08 am

NO GOOGLE. Just don't.
I will say I was thinking "hmmm, sounds like maybe a tummy ache? pepcid?" before I got as far as where you mentioned it. I hope he's sorted soonest.
Last edited by QBert on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:42 am

If this started shortly after changing the protein, that might be a contributing factor?
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:23 am

Sorry for being ridiculously obvious, but he's not hot, is he? MP has insanely low tolerance to heat (even more so now than before, which was ridiculous then)—and will pant until I turn on the AC and I freeze (I'm always cold). Even on relatively cool days when the breeze is nice and house does not feel warm to me at all, she sometimes gets all panty and hot—probably due to the dew point or whatever it is that makes everything terrible despite the temps. In any case, just throwing it out there because I was all worried about pain, too, but it really was that she was hot on these specific occasions.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:51 pm

I had the thought about the temps too but I can't think he'd be crawling all over me if he were hot. Usually he blocks the floor fan. We're going in tomorrow at 11. Cross your paws.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Yeah...a bit of a stretch but just a thought! Sometimes they behave counterintuitively under duress so I thought maaaaaybe. Good luck tomorrow! Hoping for just a stuck fart and nothing big.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:56 pm

I popped a pepcid in his breakfast (after a midnight run to CVS because we were out) and today seems better. Not "cured" but definitely less antsy though still having a hard time settling in one spot to sleep. No attempts at humping or whale-eyed cat climbing. Of course this happens after I make the appointment for tomorrow. He's also belching and farting, which I take to be a good sign, he's a belcher normally. I think we'll keep the appointment tomorrow just for peace of mind because we're going out of town this weekend and I'd like to know that everything's mostly manageable for the pet sitter but things are looking better.
QBert, Dr. Google said ER NOWWWW!! That didn't happen, I closed the laptop instead.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:55 pm

Just throwing this out there - as he only does it after you get home from work, is it possible he has the start of sundowner's syndrome? Anxiety (including panting), restlessness, changed patterns of interaction, all of which are more pronounced at night (and sometimes only at night) - those all are early signs of sundowners. I had a foster dog with this, and Max's behaviour sounds very like it.
If it were pain, and especially eating-related pain, I would expect him to exhibit the restlessness at least sometimes during the day.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:16 pm

I had the same thought (gulp) Is there a test for congitive disfunction? He's only 9 but puppy mill bred. The pepcid helped so far and his level of pesty has returned to normal so I'm hoping that's all it is.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:56 pm

There's not really a definitive test. It's more a process of elimination of other issues, and seeing if the meds for canine cognitive disorder make any difference. Most of my CCD dogs have come to me as seniors so I didn't see the early stages (including Isaac, the foster dog, who drove me crazy with his pacing and panting at night, and delighted me when the big 60 pound oaf tried to climb on my lap even though he wasn't a cuddler).
If it is an consolation, one of the few dogs I've raised from a pup showed some signs of sundowners when she was about 9 (mostly standing in a corner, acting confused, pacing a bit), and then seemed to adjust after a couple of months. It returned as full blown CCD when she was about 12 or so, and she passed away at 13 (Collie cross, so normal lifespan).
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”