Rimadyl and Restlessness

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Rimadyl and Restlessness

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Max was given Rimadyl for pain in his eye, 25mg bid and has become restless at night. He just sits and stares at you, panting and won't settle. Granted it is hotter than hades here so walks have been shortened so less of an outlet there but we've picked up indoor trick training to try to fill the void. Urination and water consumption are normal. He's also feeling better from the ABX so maybe I'm just not used to this level of activity? He has no side effect symptoms of the Cefpodoxime abx. We have one day left of the Rimadyl but I'm tempted to not use it and see if he's still antsy. Am I overthinking this? If all else fails I have tramadol and pain plus. Thoughts?

ETA: Yes, I will be calling the doc in the office. They open at 9.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Rimadyl and Restlessness

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:56 pm

GI side effect? maybe a night time snack?

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:22 pm

He's had a twister toy with ~ 2 tbs pb and banana plus training treats (dried no-sugar added cranberries, probably about 1/4 c.). Do you think that's substantial enough or should I give him something more?

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Hey, how is Max now?

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:33 pm

He's still antsy at night. I don't get it. We finished the oral abx on Tuesday, took him off the rimadyl on Tuesday and tonight he overstimulated again and tried to hump. I hate to be the hypochondriac and take him to the vet for ADR that could be just a significant decrease in walkies because it's so damn hot. I wish this weather would break so we could go back to our normal routine and then evaluate. Training helps but his brain amps so much from it that it's hard to tell. I wish he didn't go from 0-10 at the sight of low-value treats. He's staring at me as I speak. Normally that means "Yo, I gotta go out" but he's been out 4 times since 7pm (currently 10:26 pm) and he always just tinkles a little and comes right back to the door, so I don't think that's it. His eye is better and the abx may have upset his stomach some but that's not the cause of the antsy/pesty/over-stimulated behavior and it's out of character for him. He should be passed out for the night by 9 but he's still going. Even when he doesn't want to play or chase a toy he's in your face. I think I'm going to wait until his routine can be resumed and reassess. Grr.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:46 pm

What about setting up a tracking practice or nose work inside? Drop a treat every five or so steps and put him on the trail of treats around the house. You could drag a hotdog on hard floors with treats every few steps for a really easy trail.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:29 pm

Does his stomach feel firm at all, like it might be inflamed?
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:51 pm

It didn't tonight when I checked it. The other night it did and I gave him a gas-x, let him out, he pooped and all was well, that was at 1:30am though. We just did a 20 minute amble and sniff walk in the parking lot of the NFL/MLB stadiums (they're back to back and share a lot) which apparently wore him out completely. He usually poops on walks and I'd hoped that would happen but no dice tonight. He's passed out now on the couch, which is good. He tried to hump me with a vengeance earlier and I am over it!
We do tricks and "find it" games inside and are playing 101 things to do with a box. He's ridiculously food motivated, even for low value treats, so while that works, it also amps him. The nice thing about his walks are that he can explore and move on and the reinforcer for "more More MORE MOARRR!" isn't there. I think the parking lot will be a good place for awhile, as long as games aren't scheduled obviously. We can go at night, it's fairly empty yet well lit and maintained and we don't have to stay on a path so we can go back to the car whenever, as opposed to a out-and-back trail.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”