The eyes have it

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

The eyes have it

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:41 pm

So this is a little late to post but it's been a crazy week so here's the recap. Max's left eye has been giving him serious fits, the third eyelid was popping more often than not and the winking was a bit OOC. There was some pain, evidenced by panting and he was generally mildly adr. Last Tuesday he went to his gp for his nail trim and adjustment, you know, routine maintenance. She looked at his eye and deferred to his ophthalmologist, who we saw on Wednesday. Dr. K diagnosed a corneal ulcer and felt his 3rd eyelid. (Seriously, she totally just poked her finger under his eyelid and palpated it. His eye was numb, thankfully). The ulcer had already started to grow cells over it, making treatment harder. So she brought out the big guns, cefpodoxime, rimadyl, Ofloxacin, and an abx shot injected directly under the eyelid, along with his normal tacro. I couldn't watch the injection but I did see the bubble under the lid, Dr. K showed it to us. I'm not gonna lie, I almost got :sick:. I really like that Dr. K is not squeamish and is a little geeky about his eyes but I don't need to watch the whole exam. :lol:

The good news is that Max is feeling markedly better and we're almost out of abx. 3rd eyelid is not showing itself much and he has much better spunk. We go back for a recheck next Wed. The oral abx have also helped his skin, which we jacked up by feeding chicken. He's back on all beef now. (I really should have known better, he's a red meat guy and hot foods don't ever do him favors.) So, other than a bald spot where he had scabs on his butt, we're on the mend. Now if I could only get hair to grow he'd be set. I supposed i should be grateful for the reduction in grooming fees but his bald butt looks terrible! :frown:
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: The eyes have it

Postby connie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Ask, I couldn't have watched that either. Charlie had a grid keratotamy for a corneal ulcer a year ago, and I kept my gaze fixed on a point on the exam room ceiling. :crazy:
That's great that Max is responding so nicely to the treatment, though! Sorry about the bald butt. I have a Lapphund that is molting right now, so I can relate.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:46 pm

oh yeah, eye stuff is creepy. I'm glad he's feeling better. why does he have scabs on his butt?

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:15 am

Eye stuff freaks me out too. When Jack injured his eye it was all I could do to keep my lunch down when his opthamalogist was scraping his eye ball and doing whatever else she did. i'm glad Max seems to be doing better!

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Hope he heals up quickly!
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:54 pm

I don't know I could ever be around a camp fire with ophthalmologists, I just imagine the stories. *shudder* His butt is scabby because we gave him chicken and he broke out in scabs, which made the hair fall out. It's growing back but slowly. His body hair grows very slowly, always has, so this will take awhile. His nails on the other hand...drag queens are jealous.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm glad Max' eye is on the mend. Sorry about butt scabs though.

I don't handle eye things well either. I almost passed out when one ophthalmologist showed me a jar full of dogs' eyeballs. This was years ago with my diabetic dog and I was hours up into NJ and by myself. The doctor made me lay down on one of the benches in his waiting room before they'd allow me to drive home. It was totally embarrassing with other patients there.

ChiChi's ophthalmologist loved to draw pictures on a white board and explain things to me and Dixie's cardiologist is the same way. Both said that it's exciting to have interesting patients with an owner that asks good questions and is able to comprehend the answer. I did tell them both to explain things only once and if I didn't comprehend I'd ask more questions, otherwise there was the risk of my brain going into overtime and risking the passing out. I did tell Chi's eye doctor the story of eyeballs in a jar and me almost passing out. lol

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:21 pm

I'm so glad that Max's eye is looking better! My friend's Dutchie got a contact fitted to his eye after he scratched it. It was supposed to be in for 2 weeks, but he shook his head vigorously enough one day that it flew out somewhere. Zombie just sat there while the doctor poked fingers in his eye - I don't even think he was sedated. Yesh!

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:47 pm

And now the right eye is exhibiting the same stuff (squinting, watery, cloudy). The left eye appears to be going the down the same dark and twisty path again. Obviously something systemic is going on. Sigh. We're also being switched from .03% tacrolimus drops to 2% cyclosporine ointment for his normal treatment for the chronic conjunctivitis. The tacro isn't managing it as well as it should. I'm going to try to get him back to the eye doc this week.I do love that the eye doc doesn't mess around so let's hope we can end this little weirdness sooner rather than later.

I know there are times when "kids" are just expensive and now appears to be one of those times. :frown: Thank goodness for the savings account. I just want to get this kicked out of his little system. He's miserable too.
Last edited by maxs_mommy on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Poor Max. Poor bank account too!

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:54 pm

awww, MAN. It never rains but it pours, huh?
How I wish we could find some ways to at least repair them rapidly and with no drawn-out pain.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:14 pm

I'm thinking of changing brands of food. NV changed their formula last year and ever since then $h!t's been flying downhill like grandma on a toboggan.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:08 pm

The tac and the cyclo are powerful immune suppressants. Max was on them for his pannus. Eventually I had to drop back to saline eye drops and minimal pred. Max was absorbing everything systemically and I couldn;t get his perianal fistulas to heal while on those eye meds.

I hope you get this worked out.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:27 pm

We're going in tomorrow (today) at 10 am. Cross your crossables for him please!

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Literally, same thing, cloudy ulcer. Same meds, other eye. The vet and I agreed that the next time we meet should be in a coffee shop instead of in the office.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Ugh! Well at least oyu know how to treat it

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:18 pm

We started the eye abx when I called to make the appt. The doc overheard me making the appointment and said to go ahead and start the drops. We got a refill of those today too. He also got the abx sub-q shot to the eyelid. (shudder) The left eye is on the mend.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Yuck, poor Max and poor wallet.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Max is a trooper about it but he's so over the eye drops. I also don't know how much the cyclosporine will be when we switch next week. Poor wallet. but really, what's $400 to the ophthalmologist and $150 to his regular vet a month? SMH. At least I got to redeem my "buy 12, get 1 free" Fromm cat food UPC's this month so there's something. My savings account is crying in a corner but it will recover. I always have to remind myself it could have been worse like last year's $$$ dental. Murmur to your favorite universal force that August is quieter (read, less expensive) for us.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”