HELP! Zeke ate chocolate

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Amanda
Permanent Resident

HELP! Zeke ate chocolate

Postby Amanda » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:29 pm

My daughter came home from school with an Easter egg of dark chocolate hersey kisses. I didn't know about them until my son came to me with the egg crying that they were missing two and Zeke ate them. Should I worry? He's 37 pounds now and it was two dark chocolate kisses. That seems like not a lot, but I don't know how much is dangerous.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Re: HELP! Zeke ate chocolate

Postby Amanda » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Google is my friend. I think we are ok. Each kiss is .16 oz and even the darkest chocolate needs a concentration of 1 oz per 9 lbs of body weight. So he would have had to eat like 28 kisses. So I think I am ok. Someone say otherwise if Google is wrong!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:49 pm

yeah I think two kisses is well within OK range, thank goodness.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:04 pm

I've never ever had a dog eat chocolate. I am usually so on top of that kind of thing and some kid at school snipered me. All I could see was dark chocolate and I kind of panicked. Lol

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Being the paranoid person that I am, I would follow this up with liver support (no clue if charcoal would help at this point). Had a pup on a board once eat a lot of that dark baking chocolate. Dog went to the vet, came home (the next day?), seemed fine, and then seizured and died a week later. I think this is probably very very rare, but watching that whole thing unfold on the forums left an impression with me.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:55 pm

He's on liver support right now anyway because he had vaccines today too. :hmm: Bad timing all the way around, really. I will watch him carefully although from what I have read it's pretty immediate vomit inducing or you just ride it out. Once it's in their system that's that. He's a little hyper right now. Lol

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:40 am

I can't remember the first time Cousteau got chocolate or how big he was, but I do remember it made him craaaaaazzzzzy for a bit. A vet friend of mine told me how much a dog had to eat of chocolate candy to do real harm and it was a crazy amount. I was Pixel more closely because he's so little, but the big dogs don't cause a terrible amount of panic for me.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:10 am

Jack ate more chocolate than I care to remember. He was a super ninja when it came to chocolate! I swear that little guy could move chairs so that he could climb onto the counters, reach the upper cabinets, and open triple sealed packages if it meant getting chocolate. Most of what he got was milk chocolate, thank Bob, because wonderful rich dark chocolate wasn't nearly so prevalent outside of bitter baking chocolate. And despite all that chocolate, just lived to just shy of his 19th birthday.

I wouldn't get too freaked out about a couple of kisses, even the dark ones (the amount of cocoa in those is still ridiculously low, barely more than milk chocolate. as a dark chocolate lover I'm offended that they even call them dark chocolate, frankly.)

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Extra zoomies and some soft stool this morning and he seems not the worse for wear.

And then my four year old swallowed a nickel. So now I have to check out her poop. I am on poop watch for four small beings right now. Seriously, someone should post a poop warning label on motherhood of young things.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Oh man. Muzzles for everyone! No more eating stuff unless your mom tells you you can! :blah:

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:12 pm

Any chance you can get her to poop in the yard with Zeke? At least some of the poop watching will then be in the same place...

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 pm

:rofl: :lol:

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:43 am

Glad he's fine! A few years ago, MP ate what I like to call a "joke chocolate" that Acorn's dad brought back for him from Germany because it was SO BIG (I would say at least 24" long, proportionately in shape of a regular chocolate bar) and she basically ate 6/7 of it. And it was DARK chocolate! She didn't show any symptoms whatsoever, and the various chocolate chart still showed it was not a great thing at all, but not ER-worthy, either. I have a feeling some dogs are WAY more sensitive, though, because Acorn's old beagle started foaming at the mouth and went into a seizure after just a few pieces of chocolate (this was before my time).

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:40 am

... I have a feeling some dogs are WAY more sensitive, though, because Acorn's old beagle started foaming at the mouth and went into a seizure after just a few pieces of chocolate...
This is what I think too - there must be variation in whatever it is in the body that processes the bad stuff in chocolate.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:22 pm

I know it took me a long time to realize this but.....

Who gives a *kid* dark chocolate? Do your kids actually like dark chocolate? I don't like it, won't eat it even if it's the only chocolate available.

Just wondering. :wink:

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm glad Zeke's okay. Bax ate my chocolate shoe a minute ago as I sit next to him here at the computer. He had a bone so I wasn't paying attention.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 pm

Lynn, you are crazy, dark chocolate is THE BEST!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:34 pm

Yankee, he ate your chocolate shoe??

Lynn, dark chocolate is the best, but no. My kids don't like it. More for me. Lol

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:33 am

this pup is determined to keep you hopping, huh?

I remember a former co-worker's Malamute cross eating more than a pound of chocolate (admittedly mostly milk chocolate) when the children's Easter baskets were oh-so-charmingly staged on the stairway landing to await their waking - dang dog never blinked over it, was never ill even a moment, just smug and right pleased with herself.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Max ate 1/4 pan of brownies once...never even phased him. Sigh. I'm not a huge dark chocolate fan but it'll work in a pinch! Glad Zeke's ok, maybe he won't develop a taste for it so there's more for you!
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”