Ears...again.

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Ears...again.

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:41 pm

We have itchy crusty ears...again. I am so over this. I've been dousing them in coconut oil for two days. Of course the first time I can get him to the vet is Thursday. The first episode we did an essential oil mix...last time we did Virbac Easotic (http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detai ... is-externa) for a full 7 days. I'm not sure if it came back or never was completely wiped out. There has been no diet changes or treat changes on my end. NV did change their formula but nothing looked offensive in the new ingredient list. If anything his diet has gotten more meat based with less fats or carbs because of his triglyceride levels. I'm strongly considering asking for a 14 day scrip for cephalexin. This has worked in the past even though his cytology was yeast and it's an abx. Is there something else that hits hard? I want to kick this once and for all, both for his ears and my wallet and patience. I like my vet a lot but this is ridiculous.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Riddick

Re: Ears...again.

Postby Riddick » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Miconazle lotion is usually our go too for yeasty ears. That and Epi Otic advanced ear cleaner because it's a yeast inhibitor.
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:45 pm

So frustrating. I'm new to ear infections in dogs--Will is my first. I read somewhere that an ear infection can involve both yeast and bacteria-sounds odd but maybe that would explain why the abx helped despite it testing positive for yeast.
Has he had allergy testing?

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:56 pm

Ugh, so sorry. :( MP has only had one weird ear episode where it wasn't stinky or anything but it kept getting brown stuff all inside. I asked what to do here and got this thing called Zymox and it kicked its ass in one go. I bought the kind without hydrocortisone. It seems not so scary and worked really well for whatever it was she had at the time! Hope you can kill it for good this time!!

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Yeah, we're big fans of Zymox here. I have the huge bottle of it. Most of the time that works but sometimes you have to bring out the big guns. I'm unsure if this is a new infection or just a rebound from last month. We're zymoxing until/if we call in a fix on Thursday. Thankfully, after two months of this, the vet is willing to treat him without another office visit and ear swab.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:11 pm

How's Max's ears? Did you get the ear grenade to kill it twice? I didn't know that Zymox isn't one of the big-guns—every time I see a medicine with X or Y or Z in the name, I think it's nuclear-powered. ;)

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:54 pm

We've done zymox for a week now. Better, not cured. We didn't ask for abx. I think this will kick it but takes longer.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:57 pm

I'm glad they are better, hope it continues to improve.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”