vaccinations timed with a spay

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

vaccinations timed with a spay

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:10 am

yay or nay?
Trick is being spayed on Friday and is overdue for booster. I'm on the fence about another rabies vax. She had one at 15-ish weeks at the breeder's. It would be easier on her to have them done without knowing about it

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Re: vaccinations timed with a spay

Postby QBert » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:40 am

If she's that distressed by an injection, I'd get it done while she's out. Perhaps not ideal in a perfect world but likely no more damaging big-picture than a second high stress encounter. I can't even fathom her being that freaked over simple medical handling, but you're the one with eyes on.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:21 pm

By "simple medical handling" do you mean being restrained for a vaccination or to do with her spay or?
She does ok being handled by my reg vet, who is wonderful , but she's not had anything done by her that hurts. The waiting room if a dog is there is the terrifying part for her.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Can you book appt for first patient in the morning OR last one in evening? I tried to do that with Brinca. You can also wait outside, call to check in and ask them to come get you or text you when it's your turn. You can wait in the car. ???? I'd think they can do the injection really fast before she has time to get freaked out? That's what happened with Pi last week. They were super busy so vet came in,tech held and voila they were done before Pi had had time to say hello. ;)

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:16 pm

Can you book appt for first patient in the morning OR last one in evening? I tried to do that with Brinca. You can also wait outside, call to check in and ask them to come get you or text you when it's your turn. You can wait in the car. ???? I'd think they can do the injection really fast before she has time to get freaked out? That's what happened with Pi last week. They were super busy so vet came in,tech held and voila they were done before Pi had had time to say hello. ;)
ETA: but if you think it's going to freak her out just do it when she's under & that's that.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:08 pm

Yep, they're taking her as first case of the day and letting me hang with her til she's sedated. So far, so good. The place she's going for her spay is not my regular clinic. My clinic is very expensive and having used them for Rosie's foot lump surgery and a dental for Sam, I'll just say that I'll stick to them for medical stuff but I won't use them for surgery again I don't think. The recovery room nurse in me was appalled at some of the things I saw.

Riddick

Postby Riddick » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Most vets I know will not give vaccines while a dog is under for a big procedure because of the concern of the dog having a vaccine reaction while under anesthesia.
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:40 pm

That's what a vet tech friend just mentioned too. I hadnt thought of that, but it makes sense. I hadn't thought of vaccinating while she was under either until I was looking into a place to spay her and read about all the things they suggested you can do with one anesthetic ( boosters, dental, chip, tattoo) then a receptionist of one of the places I called suggested it too. I suspect her odds of a vaccine reaction are minimal since she's had 3 doses of a 4 way shot (and one rabies shot) and been fine. I won't do a rabies vaccination while she's under for sure.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:00 pm

I just got the first pang of nerves. I've been fine telling myself 'pfft,dogs are spayed every day, and it'll be fine, she'll do fine and be home feeling cone woe before you know it ' I hate handing them off for surgery. hate hate hate. I wish she was a boy and it was just a couple of dingle balls.

Riddick

Postby Riddick » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:06 pm

We spayed a 2 pound 4 ounce 'teacup' yorkie last week and she bounced up after surgery just fine, and she had teeth extracted too. Make sure they are definitely putting her on IV fluids during her procedure, and with smaller dogs we wait and give the morphine after they are awake and semi alert.
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:55 am

I think the vax thing is one of those things that is always done but there's definitely risk in it. .. I'd be tempted to spay, recover and back to your regular very for rabies and lots of liverwurst.
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:54 am

That's what a vet tech friend just mentioned too. I hadnt thought of that, but it makes sense. I hadn't thought of vaccinating while she was under either until I was looking into a place to spay her and read about all the things they suggested you can do with one anesthetic ( boosters, dental, chip, tattoo) then a receptionist of one of the places I called suggested it too. I suspect her odds of a vaccine reaction are minimal since she's had 3 doses of a 4 way shot (and one rabies shot) and been fine. I won't do a rabies vaccination while she's under for sure.

Hate to say this, but Dora had a rabies vaccine reaction at 7 yrs old. She had never had a vaccine reaction (or to any medication for that matter) prior to that. I'd skip the vaccine for another day if it were me .....
UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GCHx2 "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN
"Spock"

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Yikes, good to know.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:38 pm

It's not something I would do, personally. Major surgery is stress enough on the body, not a good idea to bog down the immune system even more.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Ditto what Sabine said. Especially not a puppy, whose immune system isn't really 'done' yet. JMO.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Trick turns 3 in a couple of weeks, not a puppy anymore! Thanks for all the input everyone. I think i'll pass on the booster, not even sure this clinic does them, but wanted to have thought it through ahead of time.

Send the ODO smooth surgery vibes. She goes at 8am tomorrow.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Smooth surgery thoughts coming your way.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Oh, duh, why'd I think puppy? Sorry! And best wishes for an uneventful procedure for T. :thumbup:

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:16 pm

Calming thoughts for you and easy surgery vibes for Tricky.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Sending easy surgery and uneventful recovery vibes! Hang in there, Heather....

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:15 am

leave it to me to wait til a dog is just under 3 to spay and then inadvertently book it for Friday the 13th. :disturbed:

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:49 am

Haha! Hoping everything goes smoothly today. Good luck Tricky!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:28 am

Smooth surgery vibes for T, and calming vibes for you. All will be well, I'm sure.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:25 am

She's done and I can pick her up at 1:20 yay. The staff at this clinic have been very professional and caring, but I'll be glad to have my little peanut at home.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Oh, thank goodness. I've been thinking about her all day!

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Glad it went smoothly! Let the healing begin!
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Poor Tricky. The tech asked "has she always been so fearful?" Anything they went to do with her she screamed even when she was still groggy. They said she drooled like crazy when she woke up so maybe she woke up feeling nauseas too. I just went to take off the vet wrap from where her IV had been and she screamed and screamed (it took all of 3 seconds to get off and it's non adhering-i wasn't pulling hair ) I sure hope the Metacam is taking the pain away. That response makes me wonder :( I'm going to make her something tasty and easy on the belly for supper. i wish I could do more for her.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:56 pm

OMG I am incompetent. I put water and food outside of her crate in my room and left the door open. I couldn't put it inside with her cone on. I left to do something, came back in and she's standing on my bed. It's about 32" tall. FAIL. I carefully scoop under her bum and front to place her in an expen and she screams and screams and screams that full out panic, loud as you can "don't kill me!!" scream. I feel bad for her fv#@

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Dogs certainly aren't good about taking care of their own health, are they? :P Havana has done similar things when she was supposed to be quiet, still, and NOT putting all of her weight on her front end when she was recovering from her disc thing.

Hope the meds kick in for Tricky soon!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Oh dear, I hope she gets over the screaming soon, poor little dear. I've been the bad doggy momma at times too, forgetting to not let one use the steps post surgery. It happens, but hopefully no harm was done. I'm glad it's over and she's back with you where she can be more calm and comforted.

With the screaming, I wonder if she is having the reverse reaction to some pain med or the anesthesia that's adding to her existing anxieties. I know that when Dixie had some pain med after the anal gland removal it made her terribly anxious. It actually amplified her existing fears. You know how those labels read "may cause marked drowsiness, excitability, or nervousness. I tried the meds twice with the same reaction and had to discontinue giving it and opted for the additional acupuncture treatment instead.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”