Uh-oh, my 60 lb dog is actually ...

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Uh-oh, my 60 lb dog is actually ...

Postby Jen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:19 pm

77 pounds!!! wtf :jawdrop: :help:
:eek2:

I knew she had gained weight. And we've cut back her meals but I've been really working on recall constantly (i.e., yummy treats) and shes the only one going to Nosework class (i.e., even more yummy treats), and they are doing more in and out of crates instead of in and out once a day (i.e., even more yummy treats). Apparently all those treats add up faster than you'd think. :blush:

Seventeen extra pounds! 1/3 of her target weight!

What's the best way to do a serious diet??

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Uh-oh, my 60 lb dog is actually ...

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Oops! Veggies for treats or feeding meals as treats is where I'd start. If you want to be drastic, raw is what cut the fat off Max but that's not feasible for everyone.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:18 pm

We've all gained this winter too. Rosie is 4lbs to heavy (!!) Sam is up 1.5. I haven't weighed Trick lately, but her rib cage is buried under a layer of fat too.

The sad thing is Rosie and Sam are getting a puny 1/2 a cup of Acana twice a day and aren't really losing. I think they'll lose it when walks turn into hikes this spring. (The x-country skiers take over our trails in the winter and get very upset when you walk on their perfectly set tracks)

You could train for a portion of her kibble instead of extras, increase exercise and cut back regular rations.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:45 pm

I haven't weighed Henry since my dad left, but I could just about guarantee he gained five pounds in just a week. I've reduced treats to just frozen green beans or a single zuke mini, and I've cut his food. I haven't calculated how much I've reduced his food, but I'm feeding 1 tbsp less at each meal (out of 1/2 cup of THK) and not adding any extras. I also asked his dog walker to make sure he's getting as much exercise as possible, weather and sidewalk safety permitting.

Woof watchers is no fun! Henry sends Bella condolences.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:58 am

I've never been able to get Eddie down to his target weight, largely because the ONLY thing that he will work for is treats (and not the green bean kind), and as a raw fed dog, carrying a squeeze tube of his dinner around in my pocket just doesn't work. I have cut back on his meal portions and supplemented with green beans, but those treats for the multitude of behaviours I'm trying to get him to perform reliably just add up and up and up - and this is a dog who hikes about three times a week and walks on the other days.
And he's so food obsessed that he becomes frantic if I try to cut back on anything too much - meals or treats. And that drives me crazy.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Fraggle is all fluff right now... It's just that she needs a trim....

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 pm

Chloe gained a ton when we made all those meals for Ollie and he wouldn't eat it. She's getting back to normal now. My wife is good at keeping everyone trim (except me).

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:04 pm

I also know I bumped up Bella's portions too because Dr. v said some of her crankiness was simple hunger. And she did calm down a lot once she was eating more, but I guess I over did that too.

I'll see what she thinks of green beans. I can use kibble in the house,but I think I need to stick with high value for recall from fence dogs. Which, side note, the tarp between our house and neighbor fell down this winter, and Bella and Dexter (the very barky chihuahua-sized fluffy thought it was a Yorkie but maybe not dog next door) have been able to be on the yards together without engaging one another. And when he does engage her (and it's always he who starts it), she disengages pretty quickly! I credit the massive amounts of goat cheese she got this winter. :lol:

She got 1/3of a can of cat food trying to get a Comfortis pill down her this evening, so the diet's off to rip roaring start. :p

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:16 am

Has she got any super-fave foods that aren't high in fat and calories? If I bake a butternut squash and cut it into little chunks, there is almost nothing that Alex won't do to get a bite of squash. Maybe Bella has something similar? Also, you can cook green beans in low-sodium vegetable broth. :wink:

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:49 am

Good girl Bella!
you could use cooked lean meat like turkey or chicken breast. babyfood meat or your own pureed lean poultry meat in a GoToob might be good too?

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:53 am

Mia has gotten so thick this winter......I can't even be sure, but she might outweigh Pofi, who, as always, is holding steady. I dread putting her on a scale!!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”