Great Dane Puppy

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Great Dane Puppy

Postby Yankee » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:10 pm

My son got a great dane puppy around the same time we did. They had last pick. The puppy had a cataract, per the breeder's vet. My son talked with his own vet who was not really concerned, tho if it was a full blown cataract it could cost $1,800 to $2000 to fix. The breeder said because of that possibility, she would not charge the $2000 for the puppy. In any event, the great dane is two weeks younger than Baxter, and much much smaller. She acts fine. She has, though, has had loose stools, but my son's vet found no stool problems when tested.
I am a little concerned about the size. Any thoughts?

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Re: Great Dane Puppy

Postby Amanda » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:54 pm

In my experience, puppies are generally the same size even of different breeds when they are really young. I mean, a chihuahua and a St. Bernard are not the same, but the difference between a large and giant breed puppy isn't always that big (can be, but not much). If she isn't growing, I would be concerned. Baxter looks bigger because of his coat too.

So the cataract will heal on its own, or she will just live with it?

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 am

I hope that the pup is doing well. I don't know about cataracts, but I guess I would be thinking about eventually correcting it - don't they get worse over time? Isn't there a chance of the other eye developing one? There may be some nutritional support for cataracts, just not sure off the top of my head.

Interesting about the sizes and growth.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:39 pm

It's so hard to know. It's encouraging that the vet wasn't concerned. If the puppy is significantly smaller than she should be for her breed, I would be concerned about why that is. They grow so rapidly at that age, I'm not sure comparing to Baxter is useful or not. I just saw an irish wolfhound puppy at the store on his first outing and he was HUGE.
Rosie has a congenital cataract (at least I think that's what it is, my memory is so flawed) that wasn't picked up until she saw an opthomologist for a different eye problem . The regular vet didn't see it. At least I think that's what it was/is. He explained to me that she was born with it and it wouldn't interfere with her functional vision unless I needed her to read fine print. lol She catches frisbees/treats/balls with great accuracy.
So, long rambling reply to say--I have no idea. I hope she'll be ok.

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Well, the pup has a cataract in both eyes, and is blind in one eye with partial vision in the other. He has a second appointment with the eye doctor next week. Now the pup has "regurgitated twice, and he's afraid it's Megaesophagus. I feel so badly for him.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:39 pm

Oh Yankee, that's rough :( I'm really sorry for your son and his family having to deal with all of these issues with their puppy.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Heartbreaking :(

Jazz here has a lot of swallowing and tongue issues, there are a number of things that could be going on without it being mega-e, I hope it's something else. Even something like Laryngeal paralysis can cause regurgitation.

It's really hard when you have so many hopes for a new puppy, and they come crashing down. I hope that there are some silver linings for this pup.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:27 pm

Oh Yankee, I feel really sad for the pup and your son's family. Is the blindness in the one eye because of the cataract, or is that something else along with it? Cataract surgery can be very successful, but now it sounds like the pup might need to have both eyes corrected?

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:42 am

As far as I know it's cataracts and is correctable (tho expensive).

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:47 am

Are they going to return the puppy to the breeder?

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 am

The breeder didn't end up charging them beyond the initial deposit. She will take it back, but if they return it, he will most likely be put down. Of course he's the sweetest little pup you've ever seen. (she really is - real snuggly). The breeder has indicated she may contribute to vet costs. We'll see.

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 am

I, much to my wife's chagrin, call all dogs she (or is it he?).

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Anything new on GD pup, Yankee?

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”