old dogs up in the night?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

old dogs up in the night?

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:02 am

Sam used to do last pees at bed time and be good til whenever someone woke up. In the last year or so, he will ask to go out at 1 am, 3 am and 6:30 am (roughly). I assumed it was his belly since that's long been his issue but evening snacks and either Zantac or Pepcid haven't lessened it. There has been no diarrhea or loose poo flare ups *knock on woods*. I can't tell for sure what he does out there because he goes around the side of the house to pee/poo. Sometimes he stands on the deck sniffing the air til I tell him to Go Pee!
Has anyone else had this with an old dog? Prostate thing like old human men maybe?

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: old dogs up in the night?

Postby Moemer » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:15 am

I wonder if it might be partly habit? If I make a habit of getting up in the middle of the night to pee I just KEEP doing it, and I hate that (I have no plumbing upstairs, so it's a cold trip downstairs...). If I just start sleeping through it, I don't have the midnight urge anymore.
Granted, older dogs may be more likely to need out, but I wonder if it might be worth testing? (I would seriously DIE if the dog got me up three times to pee int he night. I don't love them THAT much.)
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:34 am

Neither of my very senior seniors needed potty breaks during the night, and both of them had kidney issues. One trip out before bed and they were good until morning - or in Oliver's case until lunch time when he finally decided to get out of bed! When they needed out during the night it was always because of a UTI or something similar.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Shiloh occasionally needs out once in the night - usually about 4:30 - but I do find that if we have an evening walk about 8 or 9 PM, and then I send her out into the yard to go pee once more just before I go to bed, she will usually make it through until 6 or 6:30. She's nearly 17. I have had other old dogs who needed out once in the night in their very old age, but most also had other health issues, and I don't think I ever had to get up more than once in the wee small hours on a regular basis.
Is it possible Sam is waking up due to pain and that makes him think he needs out? I've had that happen with dogs - they are pacing from discomfort, not from really needing to pee.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:39 pm

What happens if he sleeps in a crate? Or gated in another room? Will he still wake you up or will he pee/poo in the crate?

Gringo hasn't done this in a while but sometimes he'll wake up in the middle of the night and pace & whine like he has to go out but doesn't do anything when we go out. I'm always worried it's his GI/poo issues so I hop up & take him out. Then I'm just frustrated. The last time he did this I put him in his crate, totally expecting him to throw a fit but he went right to sleep & actually slept later than usual that morning.

Part of me thinks he can smell rabbits/critters outside and he wants to go hunt them down. Anytime we go out in the dark he is on HIGH alert for critters. With good reason. There are always rabbits everywhere out here.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:58 am

We wound up crating Cousteau in another room for this very reason. It's not quite as cruel as it sounds because he rarely chose to sleep in our room, anyway. Crating him helped him settle, but he'd still be up scratching and turning around in the crate, which is why he wound up in another room. I loved the big guy, but there wasn't anything more I could do to help him - it's not even like he wanted to cuddle - and I was more helpful to him and the rest of the family if I slept.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:52 pm

I have been VERY tempted to crate him overnight but he has taken to sleeping on the sofa in the last year or so which is far more padded. If he is body sore (which wouldn't be surprising given his age, back issues and being so hard on his body in his younger years) I hesitate to make him sleep in a less comfy place. I have a back On Trac crate pad I could put in there in case that voodoo magic really does work. So many people swear by them.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Young or old, when my dogs wake me in the night either by getting out of their beds or trying to get off my bed, they definitely need to go outside to potty or are going to vomit. I always take them out if they ask because they never ask to go out just to play or chase rabbits. They'll do that once outside, but that isn't the motivating reason for their asking. Getting up is much more preferable to a messy cleanup chore in the middle of the night.

At this point, the 2 oldest need to go out about every 5 hours at the longest. I stay up late enough that they can make it the 5 or so hours until Paul gets up in the morning. If I try to go to bed any earlier, they are waking me up and then I get even less sleep. People think I'm crazy for it, but it works for us. What doesn't work is when he has days off from work and wants to sleep in later than usual because then the dogs still get me up no matter what time I get to sleep. On top of that, I've always had to pee once in the night, every night, since I was a little girl, otherwise I'd sleep walk and talk. It could be twice in the night if I have much to drink in the evening.

You've seen those zombies on The Walking Dead...that's me in the morning before coffee infusion.

Lisa_LoveMyBCs
Quite involved

Postby Lisa_LoveMyBCs » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Regarding the Back On Track products, I love mine. I am wearing my BOT back brace as I type this. I have two canine jackets and have used them on both Lad (12 years old) and Ben (15 years old). I definitely see improvement after they have worn them - moving more freely and a flatter looking top line.
Lisa and her BCs - Ben, Nan, Lad, and Nic (need to add his photo)

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:51 pm

I have this issue with my young dog, my days of sleeping in without having to get up are over ;)

Except for when there are skunks, none of my dogs have asked to go out in the middle of the night unless they had to go to the bathroom or vomit. I learned about the skunk thing the hard way, with my first girl :o

But when Jazz here run out to go pee, she stands at the edge of the patio and jut smells. I alo have to tell her to go pee. IF scary things have passed by during the night (I have an open area behind me), I have to go out with her before she'll move beyond the patio to the yard. I think dogs with good noses on them get distracted...
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Postby 2dogpack » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:13 am

Tasha couldn't hold it as long as she used to. I had to get up very early to take her out, and stay up late for final pee break. If I simply let her out in the yard, she'd stare into space and I'd have to tell her to got potty. That is, if she heard me since she was also mostly deaf at the later stage of her life. I had better success walking her - even if was just a house or two down and back. Walking her also reduced bladder infections because she tended to empty her bladder over a couple spots rather than the quick pee she'd do if it was just our backyard.

In her very last few months, she'd sometimes pee in her sleep. :-(

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:02 pm

I'm intrigued by these back on track products... I might get one for Elsie. Or, more to the point, ask for it from my aunt for a birthday/xmas combo present...
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Waking more than once per night, esp if it's at about the same times every night, would make me take a look at the TCM 'meridian clock' and see what organ's giving them problems that unsettle their sleep. Then I'd try giving the Chinese herbal remedy for a week and see if that helps.
http://mhsblog.suigetsu.com/?p=622

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:50 pm

1-3 a.m. is the liver. Might be time to change liver support?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Slightly off topic, but the Back on Track products are FANTASTIC! They greatly reduce Havana's back spasms and seem to help her a bit with soreness from altering her gait with her nerve issue. We use them in flyball between races and I really think that's part of the reason she ran so well at Nationals in August.

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:49 pm

I have nothing to offer. I will say, not to rub it in, that none of our dogs have ever gotten us up during the night, and if we slept till noon, so would they. They also never barked if we were asleep. I'd die if that wasn't the case. I do remember tho when our 1st golden got dementia - he'd bark constantly if we weren't in sight.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”