Life update- Vaccinations - Dog boarding

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Bettyna
Quite involved

Life update- Vaccinations - Dog boarding

Postby Bettyna » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:56 am

I haven't been vaccinating Kobe and Natsu since their puppy shots.

However, since we've come to the UK- away from our doggy friends in Singapore who regularly board our dogs, I've had to look for people who will board them both- if we were to go on a vacation.

My 2 main considerations are:
1. Kobe does not like other dogs, so this severely limits the choices we have in terms of dog boarding
2. All the dog boarders have a very strict policy on vaccinations. They require dogs to be up to date on their annual vaccinations. I'm going to discuss with the vet this evening, bringing with me the guidelines from the British veterinary association, the WSAVA as well as printouts from the vaccine manufacturers saying that the vaccines used are valid up to 3yrs for DHP and 1year for leptospirosis (considered core in UK) and parainfluenza. So at most, my dogs have to be vaccinated annually against lepto and parainfluenza.

Well - and also ask him Why lepto is considered a core vaccine in UK. Apparently 5-7 people in the UK each year get leptospirosis.

Wish me luck. I need to meet more doggy people in UK. It's a little difficult right now cos Kobe is so unfriendly. We have made an appointment with a behaviourist... So hopefully that works out.

Ahhhh... Many things going on. Did I mention I am pregnant too?

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Life update- Vaccinations - Dog boarding

Postby SherriA » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:38 am

First, congratulations on the upcoming baby!!

Have you looked into having someone come to your home to dogsit Natsu and Kobe? When I had two I found it was actually less expensive than paying two boarding fees, plus the dogs got to stay at home which I would have paid a premium for.

If you have to kennel them, will they accept titres in lieu of vaccines?

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:50 am

Thanks Sherri. :)

The only problem with having people come over to dogsit in our place is that the house belongs actually to my parents in law, and they actually live there half the time. They do not like to have strangers in the house while no one is there.

My best option so far is to have them boarded at someone else's home, who has no existing dogs, but yet is willing to take on an unfriendly dog. The other option would be to put Natsu with a nice home boarder, and Kobe in a kennel - where he would be miserable I'm sure.... I need to find something which works!

The protocol which the vet recommended on the phone was DHPPi (Distemper, Adenovirus, Parvovirus + Parainfluenza) once every 2 years (why not 3! since I don't see any authorised dog vaccines which are 2 year duration and the Parainfluenza part of the vaccine is only valid for 1 year), and lepto every year.

I need to discuss titers with the vet more. He did tell me that it was possible to do titers for DHP but Lepto and Parainfluenza are not testable using the usual serology testing. Then I need to check whether the boarder would accept this - definitely worth a try though!

I hate it that I have to put my dogs through this...

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12 am

definitely do some reading. I stopped vaccinating a few years ago so didn't really keep on top of it, but I have a vague memory of reading that the flu vaccine was actually pretty questionable. Someone legit (as opposed to the online crazies) recommended against it, iirc. That may be a faulty memory, but it's worth looking in to.

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 am

Yes the flu vaccine is questionable - no doubt about it!!! BUT it's one of the compulsory ones required by the boarding company. :( And plus, it doesn't cover all the strains out there. So the dog could still get one of the non covered strains. I think the main issue with the flu virus is that you can end up really just giving the flu to your dog. pffft. What's the point of that...
[Edited to add} plus it is only valid for 1 year. I just don't get the flu vaccine in general, for humans and dogs both.

So how these home boarders work is that there is a company who does all the coordination work and lays down the ground rules. I need to first pass the main company check. Then I get to talk to the actual person who is going to take care of my dogs. We go for a visit, and see whether we/the dogs get along with the boarder. I think ultimately, it depends on the person who is going to board my dogs. However, according to the company, if the dog is not vaccinated, none of their boarders will take my dogs. I need my foot in the door and actually meet someone who could possibly take my dogs.

BIG SIGH.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:50 am

What about advertising for someone yourself? That would be a lot more work, but maybe worth it?

I hope titer results are sufficient for the boarders. Good luck!

And congratulations! Very exciting!

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:25 am

Jen when you say advertising, do you mean... like on Craigslist or Gumtree? I honestly never thought of that before!.. I might be a little worried of meeting someone strange initially... but... I definitely think it's worth a try.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:32 am

Well, maybe not exactly on craigslist type sites, but asking around neighbors or people you know if they know anyone looking to make some extra money.

A coworker of mine does pet sitting in her home during school breaks. It gives her extra cash and time with a pet, but she doesn't have FT responsibility for one.

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:10 am

Haha OK. Good that I clarified. After your post I did look on Gumtree and found a number of independent "insured" pet sitters advertising their services. So I dunno if its worth the risk of calling them up and seeing if one might work out.

I've called up a couple of dog trainers /behaviourists in the area. I figure that's my starting point to getting to know people who might be interested in boarding a bad dog who is really good at home.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:49 am

Good luck! There's a vet behaviorist near us (about 90" away) who specifically focuses on aggressive and reactive dogs, but it's crazy expensive, so we've never looked into it further.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:11 am

I'm sorry people are trying to get you to jump through so many hoops. :(

Don't forget that Dr. Dodds herself is always very generous with her time answering questions, so don't let the vet sell you any BS on the vaccines. If you need clarification or a second opinion etc., you can email her at hemopet[at]hotmail.com (proper format of course, I just don't want the address picked up by spammers).

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Oh Bettyna, congrats on impending motherhood! That's wonderful! :thumbup: :grin:

And good luck about the dogs, that's a pain in the neck, isn't it?!

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:42 am

So I talked to the vet. The protocol which they follow at the clinic is DHPPi (Distemper, Adenovirus, Parvovirus + Parainfluenza) once every 2 years and lepto every year.

The brand of vaccines they use is officially an "at least 1 year vaccine", but they are allowing 2 years for DHPPi, and just Lepto every year. I asked about different vaccine brands, or getting in only a DHP vaccine which will then allow me to titer test for DHP and just do Pi & Lepto, but that was a not an option as the vaccines come in multi-packs and they can't just order 1 for me.

Lepto is essential in UK (maybe because of the relatively high incidence - apparently 14+% of vet clincs report incidences of lepto annually). I wonder though, whether the ones that report incidences of lepto are in the more rural farms where the dogs stay outside and are constantly wet, and are constantly around livestock etc. But anyway. ok, so if it must be done, I will do it.

I am going to check with other vets to see what they say and whether any other vet in the area has a better protocol.

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:00 am

Yes the vet behaviourist is going to be crazy expensive. 250 pounds will get an initial 2 hour consultation, 1 hour follow up session and a written report!! :crazy:

I can book regular one-on-one training sessions with the behaviourist as well, which will still be expensive, but cheaper.

From gumtree, I found a site which is like airbnb for dog sitters. Individuals who are want to dog sit register on the site, they have insurance coverage from the site, the site administrators do a phone interview and a house visit to ensure that the dog sitters' profile is true. We then can arrange (actually are encouraged) to meet the dog sitter before booking though the website. I found most of the people who put up profiles are students or people who work from home and are looking for some spare cash! This could be a good option for us as the rules around vaccinations might be more relaxed!! - I would have never found this website if not for Jen's suggestion of putting up an ad...

Maybe - Hopefully - something will work out there.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:38 pm

This is one of Catherine O'Driscoll's groups, it's about vaccines: https://www.facebook.com/groups/50163890984/

I think it is predominantly UK-based, you might find some info there maybe about vets, etc.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:21 pm

No advice from here on the boarding issue, but I did want to say congratulations about being pregnant. :)

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Perhaps look for local universities/schools. There are usually always kids that love animals and would love to watch your dogs. I know I would have if I had had a car as an undergraduate. Just make sure to meet them a couple times, etc. to see how reliable they are. Students are usually relatively cheap too for jobs like that since they need the money but aren't professionals...

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:08 pm

Oh and congratulations and all the best to you and the baby :)

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:53 am

Congratulations on the baby news.

As for the other, my 2 cents is only that you should get Kobe's issues addressed before you even think about a vacation. With a new baby coming. You want to make sure your new addition does not cause jealously issues.

Such an exciting new life awaits you. :)

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 am

Congratulations! And good luck. I hope you find a workable solution to the boarding/vaccine conflict.

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:32 pm

We are seeing the behaviourist this Saturday morning. We will be working very hard to try to resolve Kobe's issues. I will update again later.

The vacation I'm thinking about is more to do with going home to Singapore to visit family next Feb. :( Anyway... we will see after meeting the behaviourist.

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:01 am

THANK YOU LISA_T!!! :thumbup:

I joined the vaccine facebook group like you mentioned, and they recently put up a post about a large vet clinic group in the UK getting Vaccicheck titer kits in.

I found one clinic about 20min away who does these. I just called them up, and they do Vaccicheck for Distemper, Adenovirus, Parvovirus. And they have separate vaccines for Lepto and kennel cough if the boarder/sitters require it.

This is amazing!!! I will be able to produce proof that my dogs are immune against these diseases to the pet sitters/boarders when we finally find one. This will cut down the vaccination requirement to only Leptospirosis and kennel cough (bleargh). WOOHOOOOOO!!! yay!!!!

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 pm

Outstanding - I'm so glad that it helped. What a funny small world it is sometimes!
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”