To kibble or not to kibble

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

To kibble or not to kibble

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:19 am

Wow wee, kibble & canned is /are (?) some truly nasty sh*t!
I feed Pi's sister Fannie over here sometimes. I feel awful putting her bowl down for her, it smells vile. She gets Purina Pro Plan for now, L is going to switch to Kirkland food soon. Not a huge leap forward but it's gotta be better than purina. I'm sure Fannie is always disappointed with her meal after smelling/seeing what The Beastie Boys eat. :(
It's so tempting to doctor up her food with fresh stuff but I don't want her to refuse to eat when on the road. I'm hoping she decides not to show Fannie & will let her live over here all the time.

Anyway, all this just to say I guess I never really realized just how gross kibble can smell, I don't remember it being that icky.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: To kibble or not to kibble

Postby SherriA » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:53 am

I don't remember there being a particular odor to kibble, but it's been so long since I've fed it that perhaps I've blocked it out :) I keep a couple of cans of Wellness Simple Solutions Salmon and Sweet Potato on hand for emergencies (it's the closest I could find to Oliver's diet), and I do notice that it's kind of stinky. It has a smell that I can only identify as "dog food" - no matter the brand or the ingredients, canned dog food all has one smell to my nose.

I hope Fannie moves in with you! I love seeing pics of her and the boys seem to love her.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 am

So many breeders seem to feed and love Pro Plan.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:04 am

I think it's all about sponsorships - they get samples etc. from breeding programs. Most people will keep a puppy on whatever food they are sent home with. Royal Canin sponsors the humane society, so every dog I work with from them is eating royal canin (Hopefully sabine gets a lot of business from GHS adopters!!)
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:04 pm

I feed Fromm's kibble regularly -- for breakfast in treat toys every other day -- and it doesn't smell vile at all. That's not to say that Pro Plan doesn't reek, but not all kibble smells awful.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:40 pm

I think it's all about sponsorships - they get samples etc. from breeding programs.
I know of several companies that will provide breeders with "puppy packages" including food samples, but have never encountered a sponsorship arrangement. Some good coupons is about the best deal I've seen. Not to say it never happens but I don't think it's common.
Most people I know who feed ProPlan use it for very simple reasons. It's affordable, readily available, and an awful lot of dogs do very well on it.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:38 pm

I've never used Pro Plan so I can't comment specifically on it, but I've noticed some of the lower end foods do smell bad. Is the odor from the stuff that is sprayed on it as a flavor enhancer or preservative?

and a slight hijack -

I feed Pi's sister Fannie over here sometimes. I'm hoping she decides not to show Fannie & will let her live over here all the time.
See, SEE! I asked and you were in denial. lol I just knew you wanted her, and I predict that Fannie will officially be your dog someday.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm

See, SEE! I asked and you were in denial. lol I just knew you wanted her, and I predict that Fannie will officially be your dog someday.
Going to have to bleach her.
Emily

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm

and hope she doesn't turn orange.
Emily

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:14 pm

lol , Emily.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Emily :rofl:

yeah, i'm pretty sure the kibble i fed Brinca and Leo didn't smell or look this foul. i reckon L feeds it for the reasons Kara mentioned. L's older dogs don't eat it and she knows it's not great food, hence the plan to switch them to something else soon. the funny thing is that just like you guys have mentioned before, she feeds crappy food then puts all kinds of supplements on top of the food... meh, it's just not reasonable to think she can feed 10 dogs a raw diet. she'd love to but there's just no way.

yes, i'm pretty sure L has already celebrated Fannie being my dog someday. :lol: not that L doesn't love her, b/c she does, but her senior girl doesn't care for Fannie. and if senior girl ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :lol:

honestly, if i were to only judge on looks, which obviously i'd never do, i'd never choose Fannie as my dog. i know that sounds awful - she's a pretty girl, but she's brindle (not even my 2nd or 3rd fave) all of that white on her face & sadly the vet really effed up on her ears for some reason (all of the other dog's ears look great) but - it's as if she & Gringo are long lost soulmates & best friends, she's just as sweet as her brother and for some reason tolerates his obnoxiousness without ever getting annoyed and OMG she LOVES me, even though i put that icky stinky food in her bowl.

if i had my choice i'd bring Fergie home but she's spoken for.
Attachments
Fergie-front-001.jpg
Fergie-front-001.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:51 pm

At least I'll be able to correctly identify ONE dog in your photos 100% of the time!

I fed kibble that doesn't stink. It doesn't really have a much door at all.

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:58 pm

I'm feeding Fromm right now and it doesn't stink to me. But I've had some stinkers with some other foods. As someone who feeds kibble pretty regularly I notice a difference in the smells from bag to bag. In fact, I can tell a difference in how my dogs' coats smell... major correlation to the food.
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:37 am

I feed Fromm, and I think it stinks horribly! I do not want to know what Purina smells like then! :bleh:

Fergie's a beauty!
It has a smell that I can only identify as "dog food" - no matter the brand or the ingredients, canned dog food all has one smell to my nose.

That's how I feel about canned dog and cat food too. It's a distinct "canned food" smell (but car smells worse than dog).

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”