Odd behavior

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Odd behavior

Postby Jen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Every so often, Bella does this.

She doesn't want to be near anyone (usually a velcro dog), has a tucked tail, and lies like this in a corner or with her head under the bed or in the closet. The room was totally dark until I turned on a light. It lasts a day or two and then she's back to normal.

Her vet visits are all normal, but we haven't done any major tests or anything because I wouldn't know what to test for and "she lies with her head in the corner" doesn't alarm the vet we saw (I am going to email TCM vet now but thought I'd get opinions here too).

It started when we moved into this house a few months ago but that might also be because it's the first house with enough room for her to get away from us.

This evening, DH found her like this in the backyard. He called her and Roscoe immediately sniffed and peed on the spot where she had been lying.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (208.58 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Odd behavior

Postby SherriA » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:45 am

Oliver does something similar when (I think) he's getting too much sensory input. He doesn't go to a corner, but he buries his head under a blanket, pillow, my arm or pretty much anything. It seems like he needs to get away from the overwhelming smells, sounds, sights, etc and reset himself. Does this happen when things are busier than usual or when something new happens (new sounds of wind in the leaves, or new smell of the fireplace being lit, etc)? That's all I've got, and it's probably not much help to you.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:18 am

Hmmmmm.....having just watched a news item on paranormal activity and haunted homes ...... no, we won't go there. :whistle:

Charley used to do this long before she developed full blown Canine Cognitive Disorder. I always thought she just wanted some down time with less stimulation and involvement. However, facing a wall or staying in a strange place for an extended period of time can be one of the first noticeable symptoms of CCD, and CCD can occur in younger dogs (though it is much more common in the old ones).
It can also just be a symptom of not feeling great - Mitzi takes herself off to a seperate room whenever she has a little indigestion. Does Bella still eat her meals during these periods?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 am

Ditto what Sherri said. Dax hides his face (or entire head) when he's really tired and doesn't want to see/hear all the activity going on. I've seen it a couple times after he had a scare as a puppy and was probably exhausted from dealing with it.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:18 pm

She does still eat mostly, Jean. But she has days where she doesn't finish her meal - usually, though , it's days where I don't put enough "mixins" to mask the liver happy flavor.

I started wondering - right after I wrote my post but confirmed by all your responses - exactly when she started this and tried to pin down if it was right after we moved or after her "liver happy" regimen and acupuncture.

As I reflect back, I realize she is MUCH less reactive than she used to be. She reacts to "the big stuff," but we aren't constantly trying to figure out "what is she reacting to?" And our house is much calmer feeling.

That means we're not noticing things that used to bug her because she's not barking and spinning and flinging herself at the doors. But that probably doesn't mean they're not there.

So maybe the liver happy is toning down her reactions but not taking away the stress?? So her new reaction is to go hide?

I'll definitely be bringing that up to Dr. V.

What do you guys think of that analysis?

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:39 pm

When you say that it "lasts a day or two," do you mean that you find her like this a few times during that time, or that she's basically always doing this in some form most of the time? When she does get up from this position, what's she like afterwards? This interpretation isn't really based on anything other than a hunch, but if she's typically very velcro, this feels more on the extreme end of the spectrum for a regular ol' "get away from the ruckus" behavior. Maybe I'm more puzzled by the "face the wall" thing than I should be. How are her eyes? Sorry I'm no help, but I hope you figure out what's making her do this. Poor Bella.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:07 pm

Yes, I mean it happens occasionally during the course of a couple of days. We call it "her tail is broken" when she first emerges from this (and usually it's because we went to find her, having noticed her missing. That used to mean "up to no good" but now it sometimes means this) ... Anyway, when she emerges her tail is tucked completely under her. She just generally acts like she's "being a good girl" by doing what we want but would clearly rather be facing the wall. Her eyes just look sad and tired.

But during these same days, she'll also have a good zoomie around the yard or do her usual "greet DH with a toy" ritual when he comes home or play tug.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:57 pm

I was going to say the house is haunted and only she can pick up on it ;)

I don't know, very tough to figure these things out sometimes. If this were one of my dogs, they's probably be developing a sensitivity to the herbals...
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:21 am

Pepper used to go lay in her crate like this EVERY TIME a football game was on TV. She hated it (I think she hated my ex's reactions more than anything). It sounds like a reaction to something she doesn't like, but it's hard to say what that is. They are so much more perceptive than us.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”