Rosso has a torn ACL :(

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Rosso has a torn ACL :(

Postby amyzon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Picked him up after 8 days at the vet today. The vet sedated him and did a thorough examination of his knee....he has diagnosed a partially torn ACL. He's pushing for surgery at UT, but I just don't know. I"m wondering if there are conservative measures I can take and expect him to be able to be the highly active dog he wants to be down the road. He's been limping on and off for a few weeks. Right now he's not limping and we are limiting activity....tough for him since Katie wants to play ALL THE TIME. I'd love to hear some opinions...especially about Chinese medicine (I have a dear friend who can help me with acupuncture and herbs)...and I"m pondering a knee brace. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Rosso has a torn ACL :(

Postby Calypso » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm sorry. That sucks. :( I hope Claire sees this since she had good luck with conservative management. But Rudi was an older guy when his ACL went.

I don't blame you for wanting to avoid surgery, but if you decide that conservative management is too difficult to keep him still so it can completely heal and heal right, that makes sense, too.

Does UT have a canine physical therapist? Or a canine PT anywhere near you? A PT might be able to give you the pros and cons in a fairly neutral way.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Didn't Kathy do ACL with one of hers too (Pistol, IIRC)? She's not on much anymore but is on FB. I think they tried CM and then ended up at surgery but that's been awhile ago.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:57 am

I've been searching the older threads and have come across alot of information. Curious about the Muttknee brace. I'm seeing mixed reviews, but then again I'm seeing mixed reviews on everything related to treatment of torn ACL's. Methinks it's a crap shoot! Although the brace does sound like a good option for him...along with some PT if I can locate some!

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:15 pm

UT is, i think, the only school that offers a degree in canine rehab so i'd think you're in the right place to find some doggie PT for your Rosso.

i hope you have success with treating him and he's feeling better soon. doesn't sound like fun, poor dude. :frown:

here's the link to the UT program, maybe this is a good place to begin your search? good luck!

http://www.utcaninerehab.com/

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:16 pm

:( I'm sorry his week of rest didn't prove to be the solution. I hope you can figure out a good treatment for him.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:45 pm

I hope Rosso will be on the mend soon.

Colleen had Dylan on a brace for a tear and he did quite well considering his size. He was moderately active with walks.

She is on FB but sadly, Dylan has gone to the bridge.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:01 am

Update:

We've been using the Mutt Knee brace...it was too small at first, but they immediately sent me a replacement. I've had to modify it with some metal carabiners to put more tension on the back strap, but it really seems to help when he's out of his crate. He's not limping much at all now, and I'm letting him get enough exercise to keep his muscles strong, but no hard play, wrestling, or racing with Katie (their favorite thing...it's killing them both). He's being crated at night by our bed, so he won't try to jump up there or onto any bed during the night. He's snuck up a time or two to grab a nap when I'm not looking, but I've managed to catch him and lift him off (probably contributing to the state of my back this morning). So far so good...we could always use some ODO vibes though!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:18 am

I saw the photo of him with his brace on; he looks like he's adapting to it really well. :) I hope it does the trick!

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:28 am

After seeing your photo on FB, I finally found your post on ODO.
Happy the brace is working. The A-Trac did the trick for Rudi. Some dogs respond; some ultimately need surgery. But first trying conservative management doesn't harm the dog or make future surgical procedures more difficult. So there's really nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain.
Continued good luck!

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:36 am

Thank you Claire...that's exactly what I'm thinking! He's doing really well right now. He still wants to run, but we are limiting that as much as possible. I hope he can get more active in the future!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”