New spot on ChiChi's nose

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

New spot on ChiChi's nose

Postby JudyL » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:57 am

Well, the cheek doesn't look any better with only 2 days of abx remaining and is still a fluid-filled marble. Late Wed evening I noticed a tiny indentation with a black spec at the middle that was about 1/4" in front of the inside corner of her left eye. It was unchanged yesterday but she wasn't too keen on me looking at it, even to part the hair and take a look. It's still a very tiny spot that I was finally able to get a picture of.

I called the vet. She misunderstood and thought the divot was at the lump on her cheek. She is squeezing ChiChi in for a dental next Tuesday that will include x-rays to find out if this is indeed a dental problem, and she will biopsy the lump if nothing is dental-related is found that could be causing that initial fluid *lump* that I found.

Chi nose 3-8-13 ODO.jpg
Chi nose 3-8-13 ODO.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 1350 times

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: New spot on ChiChi's nose

Postby SherriA » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:17 am

So frustrating! I hope this gives you some answers.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 am

Poor little thing.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 pm

I hope they get her sorted quickly! Is there any puffiness at all in between the two sores?

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:20 pm

I hope they get her sorted quickly! Is there any puffiness at all in between the two sores?

Early on before being on the abx I thought there was a slight swelling below the eye that, when lightly pressed, would make the fluid lump a little bigger. If there's any swelling there now it's also very slight. She doesn't want me touching the spot on her nose, around in that area or underneath her eye. It might have a little swelling where the snout joins the head right at that inside corner of the eye. If there is swelling, it is very slight and isn't visible simply by looking at her. I've tried looking in her mouth, both with it opened and with it closed and pulling the lip open as far as I could.

I took her this afternoon for the pre-surgery blood draw. The tech told me she was very squirmy, probably because they were holding her head in such a way that she didn't want them touching these two spots. She also is squirmy and must lick fingers if you touch her eyes, like when wiping eye boogers. She's always been like that. :)

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Poor girl! I hope she gets back to rights after the dental and it's NBD!
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Poor girlie. I hope they get everything taken care of quickly, so she can recover. :)

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I hope it' something straight forward - how worrisome!
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:26 am

aww, poor little ChiChi. i hope all of this is resolved easily after the dental. sending good thoughts to you guys.

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:57 am

Oh no... Poor chi chi. I hope you manage to get a resolution to this soon.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Fingers crossed until Tuesday!

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:43 pm

Lots of NBD thoughts!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Re: News from the vet

Postby JudyL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:12 pm

I heard from the vet a little while ago. The initial exam of the tooth looked normal and the pockets showed no signs of infection but something showed that the tooth *might* have the start of some infection. She removed the tooth and said that the tip of the root had turned dark and that is a sign that it started to go bad. She shaved the face around her *spot* and still wasn't sure what that was, but she decided not to biopsy that because of the way the tooth looked. The spot is still there but has deflated with a small amount of swelling left in the middle. Because of the shape of the face, when I would touch near the front part of that spot, I could feel the tooth through the cheek, so who knows, it could have been from the tooth. She couldn't say one way or the other. She didn't find any pocket of infection that poured out when she removed that tooth though. I swear, if any dog has to have something weird, it will be one of mine!

Fast forward to cleaning the other side and the upper right molar was wiggling some as she cleaned it and she decided an x-ray was in order for that side as well. It was cracked near the crown of the tooth in a way that they don't ordinarily see. More weirdness in my dog!

The bloodwork from Friday showed elevated BUN, about 8 points above the normal range, creatinine was normal, and the urine sample from this a.m. was dilute. Chi isn't concentrating her urine like she should, and so she is in the very early stages of her kidneys failing. :( She mentioned a drug "calcitriol" that she said we'd talk about after she heals up from the dental work.

I'll be picking her up at 6pm with pain meds. I told her to send home pills, not the morphine injections like I had with Cinnabon. I don't want a repeat of that disaster. She's coming home with Tramadol, I think.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:46 pm

Oh Chi Chi, I bet she feels better having those molars out. I hope that clears up the spot and she gets back to rights as soon as possible.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:53 pm

I hope getting those teeth out resolves things!

I'm going to suggest you talk to Sabine about diet before you go the drug route for ChiChi's kidneys. I can't say enough about the difference it made for first Jack and now Oliver. My vet couldn't believe it either.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:58 pm

I am planning on doing that, Sherri. How long after switching the diet did you go back for retesting, or when did you notice improvement? The thing I noticed was her drinking more. It didn't seem excessive and coincided with the spot and abx, so I discounted it because of those events.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:27 pm

I'd have to check, but IIRC, we rechecked in a few weeks and there was significant improvement, then at three months the numbers were almost back to normal for both dogs.

Oliver is due for his annual (I need to remember to make an appointment ASAP since I have Friday and Monday off!) so we'll get them checked again then and see how they are now. It's been about a year and a half since the vet told me his kidneys were failing. They didn't even suggest meds, because it looks like he was beyond them helping. We sure showed them!

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Any heart issues? That can cause dilute urine too. When Indy was started on enalapril for her heart, her urine became quite concentrated again.

I think if you are looking at kidney issues, don't you want to look at urinary creatinine/protein ratio, or maybe better, the microalbumin (sp?) test?
Max-n-Indy

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 pm

I forgot to mention that the vet heard a heart murmur today that she said was about a 2 on a scale of 6. That could have been due to whatever infection was going on, or it could be something new. Neither she, nor my former vet, had ever mentioned this about Chi before. The blood test that was done was only for the dental surgery and isn't all inclusive of what would be on a senior panel, and then yesterday she requested that I try to bring a urine sample to test the specific gravity because of the elevated BUN. That is all that's been done so far, but like I said, Chi has started drinking more and needing to relieve her bladder more frequently, naturally.

I guess my past dogs were lucky in that I've never had to deal with kidney issues. I'd try dietary changes before meds. I only mentioned it because it was part of the conversation I had with the vet today. I'll be speaking with her again soon and she may suggest a more extensive workup before any treatment decision is made. She makes follow up calls in a day or so to check on her patients.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Those two tests I mentioned above aren't on a standard panel, they are special order, looking for indications of early kidney disease. Experience on the tick list is that those tests are under-utilized.

If she's on abx, that might improve the murmur - clavamox helped Indy's murmur in the early stages....her heart issues were most likely lyme (or bartonella) related though.
Max-n-Indy

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”