himalayan chews

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

himalayan chews

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:10 am

sorry, i know this has been discussed before.

any thoughts on these? reasons NOT to give them?

i bought one the other day for Pi, hoping it'd satisfy his need to chew. sadly, he's not very interested in it. Gringo, on the other hand, went thru 1/4 of it in no time.... :tongue: i only let Gringo have it b/c i thought maybe he'd 'soften it up' and then Pi would want it.

frozen carrots haven't caught on with him yet, either. i'll keep offering those. crackhead Gretel LOVED the frozen carrots, hopefully Pi will decide he likes them soon.

i need to remember to get some mini bagels to freeze, though i'm not thrilled with him eating those...

any other good suggestions for puppy chews? i actually broke down and passed by stupid petsmart yesterday looking for compressed rawhides --- they only had one or two brands & both were made in china. the nice & trendy pet store in my 'hood doesn't sell compressed rawhide, only the expensive chews, like the himalayan i invested in. :tongue:

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: himalayan chews

Postby connie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:07 am

Most of my dogs don't want to bother with the himalayan chews; the few dogs that do, will eat them in no time. They're pretty expensive, so that's a no-go!

Frozen Kongs for puppies are always good. Fill with any of these things, or a combination, freeze, and give. You can keep a stock of them in the freezer, limited only by the number of Kongs you have available.

Rice pudding
Banana mushed in with peanut butter
Yogurt with a bit of honey

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:18 am

The mutants run hot and cold on the himalayan chews. Like antlers they generally ignore them right up until suddenly that is the Best Thing EVAR. Most of them like the puffed pieces better than the hard blocks, but those are more of a snack than a chew.

I've got a stash of pig ears in the freezer, they keep everybody busy for a while without being really significant nutritionally. Just ears, right of the pig, not smoked or flavored.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:37 am

Thank you. So far he's ignored frozen kongs. :(

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:28 am

I predict he will love frozen Kongs when he starts getting his big teeth. But that's a few months away. In the meantime, something my Sheltie puppies always loved: I take a braided rope tug toy -- they cost a few bucks in any pet store -- and wet it and freeze that. It's chewing bliss for a very young puppy, apparently.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 am

Trick with the Kongs is get a size bigger than you think so he can get his tongue in it. Do you have the softer puppy Kong, that is the tie died colors? Mine love himalyans, but too pricey for me. They got some cute little coined sized ones from the secret santa that were inhaled, but not really long lasting on the big ones. Mine love dehydrated sweet potatos. Sam's Yams work or I am now doing them myself in my dehydrator. Braided rope like Connie said, I spritz it with chicken broth or something and deffo freeze it.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:53 am

Does he like sweet potato chews? You can make those yourself easily. I just did a batch last weekend.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:25 pm

I saw a thing where you soaked a towel in broth or water, twisted it and tied it in a ring and then froze it for a chew toy. That may be a thought but those little puppy needles might need a tug lest you shred your towels. Can Boy share his Sam's Yams?
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Beef neck bones were a big hit with Dax when he was teething. I actually had to look for fairly small pieces for him back then (not anymore lol ) should be easier with your puppy!

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:29 pm

great ideas, thanks.

beef neck bones: i KNEW i'd seen someone mention them here. i just bought some the other day in the hopes i'd be able to give them to Pi. central market doesn't always have them but when i saw them i grabbed the package. :thumbup:

Sam's Yams: i bought the little 'fries' variety for Pi and he LOVES them. i'm not positive they were the culprit but he had icky poo after he ate one so i haven't tried them again. he LOVED it but now i'm scared.

he was really loving his frozen kong tonight - plain nonfat yogurt & smashed bananas... NOMS!!! i think buying the next size up might be a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. yes, right now i have the puppy tie dye colored one. i'm sure he's going to be too big for it before long anyway.

he's growing SO quickly. i have mixed emotions about that. at least he's not 'bounding' up the back steps yet. that's when i'll know he's gotten much bigger. for now he still has to work a little bit to get up the first step. :smile: i really didn't think they grew THIS fast. it's crazy! he's hilarious with Gringo - gets really sassy and then runs over to me & tries to sit on my feet. then goes back to Gringo to do it again. or he just jumps straight up into the air near Gringo trying to get his attention. i think he may have already figured out he needs to be in FRONT of Gringo to get his attention. i noticed yesterday when he was jumping next to him Gringo didn't respond to him at all (didn't know he was even there at that second) so later in the day he did the jumping thing but right in front of him. :thumbup:

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:00 am

Small hijack:

Kara, don't you find that the pigs ears are really fatty?

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:49 am

not fresh and raw, no. When they're smoked and cured like the ones sold in pet stores, yes, they are terribly greasy but with raw ears I have not yet had any dogs follow a chewing session with greasy or loose stool.

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:16 am

Ok! I'll have to try the pig ears soon. Raw pig parts are something I can get in Singapore quite easily, and cheap!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”