Poo-free dogs?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Poo-free dogs?

Postby Calypso » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:10 am

Ha! Gotcha! I'm talking about shamPOO, not the other stuff. Anyway, with therapy work involving a bathed Havana within 24 hours of a visit, she can get 2 baths a week during our busy season. Is there any reason why I couldn't go poo free and use baking soda and a vinegar rinse on her? I'm trying it on myself and so far I really like it.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Poo-free dogs?

Postby RobinS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:32 am

I use a waterless shampoo on KiKu.....I use the Buddy Wash Lavender and Rosemary conditioners, but thin it with water, spray her down and wipe her down. I don't want to give her full baths that often and so this works well for me. Are you wanting to get her fully wet or just a good "wipe down" on that 2nd bath of the week?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:21 am

Depends on where we're going and how much she is shedding. It's not as big of a deal when she is visiting college students, but when we get into the cancer center waiting room, she will need a full wet down bath before going there no matter what. And she doesn't need a wet down if she is going to the coffee shop with veterans if she isn't shedding, but during shedding season I do need to reduce hair as much as possible.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:15 am

I hear ya. Japanese Chins shed year round and a LOT like a cat. I have to comb the girls out daily and still tell the patients that KiKu is a shedding dog. We use a dog stroller, so that makes it easy for those that don't want to hold her and get dog hair on them. I have found that a good conditioner and the zoom groom gets alot of the hair off of her.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm not personally a fan of waterless shampoos. I am a fan of baking soda/cornastarch dry shampoos, but I wouldn't use that approach myself without access to a high-velocity dryer to blow the stuff out.
I would probably 'steam' her to freshen her up for the student/veterans visits. take a bath towel, soak it in hot water as hot as you can stand to touch (don't panic, it will cool before you get it on the dog) wring it out well, wrap it around her, and give her a good vigorous rubdown through the towel. It will open up her undercoat and lift debris and dander. after a couple of minutes take the towel off, go over her with your rake/brush whatever tool you use, and she'll be good to go. Adding a spritz with diluted vinegar either right before wrapping or as soon as you lift the towel and her hair is still damp will help reduce any doggy odor and leave her soft and shiny.
If it's easier you can get the same effect by just wetting the towel and tossing it in the dryer for several minutes until it is hot and damp.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”