Scab not healing?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Amanda
Permanent Resident

Scab not healing?

Postby Amanda » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Landis has a small scab on his leg near his foot that I noticed a few weeks ago when I was doing nail trims. It looked like a black wart, but when I investigated closer it came off and was bleeding underneath. It bled quite a bit, but I cleaned him up and made note to check on it later. It's the same as it was before I messed with it. Scabs that don't heal make me nervous, but he acts like it's not there. Dr. Google says it's a rare hemangiosarcoma of the skin. I come frim the "watch and wait" school of thought on most things, but what kind of time limit should I be looking at assuming it doesn't get worse?

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Scab not healing?

Postby RobinS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:07 pm

For me, if it has been there for a few weeks and not healing, it's time for the vet to take a look at it.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Another in-depth investigation shows it is a black growth that bleeds if I pick at it. It's about half the size of a pencil eraser.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:37 pm

this kind of sounds like something Brinca had, except hers were a little raised. is Landis' raised or flat? with Brinca's the scab would usually rub off during baths, bleed, then scab over again.

i have NO recollection of taking her to the vet or what the vet said about it. i do remember it was when we were in monterey so it's possible this was just never addressed before she got sick.

i'd watch it for another week or so and if it's not healing or gone i'd take him in. i'd also take a photo of it now so you can compare it in a week. sometimes you *think* you know what it looked like before but better to have a photo just in case, IMO.

good luck.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:16 pm

I'd get it looked at. Tumors can be aggressive according to the vet I saw when rosie had that paw growth thing. Odds are it's some NBD thing but better safe than sorry if it needs to come off.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Took him in today for a heartworm test and check up. he's heartworm negative and the vet said he'd just watch the growth for now. if it gets any bigger, i should get some cytology done, but he wasn't concerned. i always laugh at these low cost clinic things. when i said all i wanted was a heartworm test, the check in lady was baffled. i told her he wasn't due for any shots and i don't give prevention. she tried to sell me a years worth of heartgard so that i could have my test fee waived. no, thanks. just need to make sure he's negative still, like he and my other dog have been for 8 years without any meds. she gave me a strange look. oh well. i spent 37 dollars on a test to avoid putting unneeded chemical strain on my dog's body. makes sense to me.

by the way, sorry about the lack of caps and weird punctuation. my phone decided to stop allowing the shift key to work since i updated the os last night. grrr...

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”