Abcessed tooth, infection draining out cheek

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Abcessed tooth, infection draining out cheek

Postby JudyL » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 pm

ChiChi has a hole in her cheek that is draining what looks like clear serum tinged with blood. She has no other symptoms of being unwell, there was no lump or swelling on her face and she has been acting perfectly normally, including her daily bark when she wants out or if her dinner is a few minutes late. Her activity level is the same and has been running around in the yard and bouncing around at meal times. The only odd thing was yesterday right after having her breakfast she vomited a little foam and a tiny bit of food back up but not the whole meal. I figured this was because of the doxy that I'd given her. She's never vomited that back up, but it was so small an amount that I didn't think anything more of it.

This morning right before she got back up on the bed for her morning snooze with me, she sat down and scratched her face with her back foot, but again, nothing unusual and not a lot of scratching either. Once she woke up I noticed that her eye had a little "sleep" in the corner and wiped it off with my finger, and that's when I felt the wetness on her cheek, looked at my hand and saw what looked like thin blood. Apparently she must have scratched it open and it started draining. I'm thinking it the 4th molar that has an abcess. Other than a little tartar on that tooth it looks normal as does the gum tissue around it. She's been a bit more snuffly this winter with her reverse sneezing, so I'm wondering if this was the reason for that also. I'm also wondering if her being on the doxy has masked this for a while or kept the swelling down until this appeared where I couldn't notice anything wrong before now.

She has an appointment to see the vet late Wed afternoon. I'm extra worried about her having a dental at 14 1/2 year old and with her other condition. Cinnabon is going at the same time because she has a molar on the lower left that is wiggling around and is should be attended to also. :(

My friend has a cat that had this happen and she suggested warm compresses until we get to the appointment which I suppose wouldn't hurt to do that. If anyone has any other ideas of what I can do until we see the vet, please share them with me.
Abcess_small1.JPG
Abcess_small1.JPG (102.83 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Abcess_small2.jpg
Abcess_small2.jpg (108.73 KiB) Viewed 2154 times

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Abcessed tooth, infection draining out cheek

Postby SherriA » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:21 pm

No advice, but good thoughts for a productive vet visit and no problems before Wednesday.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

ah, poor Chichi! ick. I would absolutely do hot wet compresses with a warmed saline solution.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 pm

:( hope it's better soon.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:38 am

I second the warm compresses treatment, I would do that up until the vet appointment. Poor ChiChi, sorry she's going through this! I hope everything gets taken care of quickly, and I know what you mean about dentals for seniors but honestly, the anesthesias are so much better now, it's less scary than it was even 10 years ago. I can't count the senior Shelties who come through rescue and have dentals done, it's almost always necessary, and they are fine afterwards! Fingers and paws crossed for you and ChiChi that you find the same.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:31 am

She seemed to feel some better yesterday after it had opened and drained. It must have relieved some pain and pressure there. If she's feeling bad, it didn't keep her from trying for some of my brownie last night, almost launching herself at it. lol This morning when I did the compress and reopened it, the discharge was mostly thin pus and not bloody looking at all so it is definitely getting worse.

On another front, I looked in Cinnabon's mouth for a better look at that wiggly molar and it's gone, but I think she might have a problem with the upper right canine. There is a dark spot high up on her gum above that tooth. I'm trying very hard not to think about last year's problems with the buprenex shots and the pain she was in after the drilling out to remove her upper left canine when her x-ray showed a small abcess starting to form at the root.

Tomorrow, hurry up and get here for my girls. :(

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 am

:( Could they squeeze you in today maybe?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 am

Ooh, poor puppy having to wait! I'm glad you're able to give her some relief.

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:30 pm

No advice - but hope it gets better soon.

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:35 pm

You may remember Ollie had that swelling on his snout due to an abscess, and unbeknown to us they removed nineteen teeth. Within a day he was chewing his nylabone. We had no problems whatsoever!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Virtually all senior dogs that come into the rescues I work with need dental, and they all bounce back in no time. I think my Oliver had 14 teeth pulled, but was ready to eat the next day!
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:25 pm

checking in

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Nothing new. ChiChi was bouncing around like her normal wild child self for her dinner and then again a little while ago to get up on my lap. The way she's acting, you'd think nothing at all is wrong. I'll do another compress in a little while after Paul goes to bed. Cinnabon vomited up some bile this morning, so I don't know what's up with her. Good thing she's going in too.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:33 pm

The good news from the visit is that Cinnabon did lose the little lower molar and the gum is only mildly irritated but is healing nicely. The vet thought her remaining teeth look pretty good even though I've been less than diligent about brushing lately.

The maybe good news is that she didn't think ChiChi's problem was a dental problem and seemed to think there wasn't enough swelling to warrant further investigating at this point. Chi's breath is excellent and with nothing seeming to be bothering her and no fever, she thought it was either a bite or puncture, or even possibly a fistula related to her panniculitis. I doubt it's the latter; she's never had any lumps on her face or head related to the autoimmune issue, those have always been on the trunk. She checked her eyes and did doesn't seem to have any connection there either. Vet sent Chi home with 10 days of Clavamox since it had some pus yesterday. She said it looks like it's healing up, and I showed her the pictures from the other day. She wants me to keep an eye on it and if anything seems amiss, they would sedate her to x-ray before deciding to do a dental because her teeth look really good. What little tartar was there wasn't at the gumline, and this dog hasn't had a dental in years.

So that's the story. Watch and wait.

ETA: I'm still thinking on this and that first morning after getting the blood and serum stuff out of it, it did look like a hole that went in at an angle.so maybe she got poked by some of our fencing. That hole would be the correct size for a puncture from that square mess that is tacked to the post and rail fence around the back yard. There are some places where the mesh is deformed and has pulled apart when Paul hit it with the deck of the lawn mower. I'm going to have a look around tomorrow in the daylight. Maybe that's why the first day it looked bloody first, then serum discharge later, more like pus the next morning. Vet said there wasn't near enough swelling to make her think *tooth*. If it hadn't been bleeding at the exact moment when I picked her up that morning, I might not have seen this for quite a while with all the hair she has right now.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 pm

That sounds like a good report all around. What a relief!

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:37 pm

well that sounds good. i really did wonder if it was really a dental issue & i'm happy to hear it's probably not.

i hope it continues to heal up and that's the end of it.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Sounds like she is well on her way to recovery, and hopefully just a one time fence issue!
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:25 pm

yay!

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:19 pm

I saw something on FB that said Chichi had a hole in her head, so I came to check for details. Poor baby! She deserves a blondie (since she can't have your brownie).

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 am

The puncture theory makes a lot of sense. Very relieved to hear no dentalwork, extensive or otherwise, is needed. :thumbup:

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am

I'm still not convinced that it's not a dental problem, but I'm following her advice to see if the Clavamox will help this. Vet didn't think there was enough swelling, probably because I had drained it around lunchtime yesterday. That was the last time it was opened up and this morning the pocket of swelling was larger and extended under her eye. It was sealed shut but I got it opened and got out a fair amount of thin bloody pus. Whether it's a puncture or an abcess, it should be opened and kept draining because nothing good will come of allowing that infected material to continue to build up.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Awww, hope it heals up soon, Judy.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Looked much worse, now some better

Postby JudyL » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Well, whatever this is on ChiChi's cheek was looking worse over the whole weekend. By Friday she was nauseated because of the Clavamox. It has to be given twice a day, but giving it at the same time as the Doxy was a no go, so now she's getting lots of smaller meals and that's making her happy. lol She clearly wasn't feeling well over the weekend, but whether it was this thing on her face or the medicine, I can't say for sure.

This spot looked worse by Friday and I was kicking myself for not asking for an x-ray or some other diagnostic test while I was there, but I think *maybe* it's a little better today. Unfortunately it was always opening at the top and leaving a pocket for the goo to remain in it. It would have been much better if it had popped open near the bottom, but that didn't happen. :hmm: This is what it looked like Friday afternoon after it opened up and some bloody ooze started to come out. It was swelled up to about 1/2" in size:
3-2-13_small.JPG
3-2-13_small.JPG (131.32 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
Yesterday it was still like a marble, I didn't do any compress or try to get it opened any more. It seemed a little bigger but at the same time softer, like it was more fluidy liquid rather than filled with goo. Today I think it's some smaller and flatter around the edge with the swelling only in the middle. Please, someone tell me this is looking better and that this think is going to go away. :( Today it looks like this:
3-4-13_small.JPG
3-4-13_small.JPG (101.74 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Well the 2nd picture looks better to me than the first one, for sure; it isn't as red and irritated looking. Still, it's worrisome, isn't it?

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Okay, that's annoying. I sympatize, I'd be worried too -- not that it looks particularly awful, just that I hate things that don't resolve!

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:24 pm

gah i'm sorry this hasn't gone away already. i thought for sure it'd be further along by now. and good grief, poor thing with all the meds, that's no fun. i'm sure lots of mini meals make them more tolerable, though. moar food is always a good idea, isn't it?

i think the 2nd pic looks much better, definitely much less 'red & angry'. i don't have any advice as to how to proceed but i hope it continues to look better.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 pm

The second looks better to me. Maybe just not messing with it will help it to calm down and heal up.

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Looks much better, and the prognosis sounds great!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”