Dang Blasted Now A New Concern for Taffy

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Dang Blasted Now A New Concern for Taffy

Postby BarksaLot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:14 pm

If poor Taffy doesn't have enough to deal with, the vet just called with the results of her test. Radiologist reviewed her x rays and there were areas of concern found. I'll just type it as it reads: Three radiographic images of the thorax of a geriatric, medium sized canine were received for evaluation.

"There is a round soft tissue opacity visible in the left middle lung region on the ventro-dorsal view. This opacity is at the level of the sixth left rib on this view. On the right recumbent lateral view there is a somewhat rectangular shapped soft tissue opacity extending from just ventral to the carina to the middle of the cardiac silhouette at about the sixth intercostal space. This is consistent with the opacity seen on the ventro-dorsal view. The appearance is consistent with a neoplastic mass but other mass lesions cannot be ruled out. A generalized prominent bronco interstitial patterns seen in the lungs and is considered consistent with dogs age. The possibility of small nodular lesions which are not resolvable on radiographs cannot be ruled out."

Conclusion:
Soft tissue mass in the left middle lung field most likely representing a primary neoplastic mass.

Vet said we could chose to do nothing, maybe follow up with the x rays in a couple months or she suggested a Thorasic exam or CT, we'd have to see an internest that she works with - she mentioned an ultrasound, also something about doing an aspiration.

So if what was found is correct, it started in her lungs, then moved to the tongue, sort of like I've heard that breast cancer can start out as lung cancer.

Oh, blood was good, except that her triglicerides she said was real high 992 where it's normal in the 200's. Could be due to the breakfast she'd had that morning. :lick:

But, if I had cancer, maybe the equivalent of canine lung cancer that's spread, I'd say to hell with triglicerides give me a Big Mac. :lick:

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Dang Blasted Now A New Concern for Taffy

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 pm

UGH I'm sorry about these findings :( *heavy sigh*

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Oh goodness, the girl can't catch a break! Dang it! Sending good thoughts your way for Taffy and you.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm sorry. :( That truly sucks.

For Quigley it was the other way around, the cancer started near the pancreas and metastasized to the lungs. Sometimes it really is better not to know. :(

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 pm

Ugh, not so good. But doesn't change the primary goal if getting that beast off the tongue, and supporting the rest and hopefully arrest any further advance. Still, not good news.

I'm so sorry.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:58 pm

i'm sorry to hear this news. :frown:

ditto what Lisa said, though.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 am

oh wow, I'm so sorry :( It's just getting worse and worse.
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 am

OH my gosh...I am so very sorry. Just awful news.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 am

Well knowing it's a metastatic tumor from a primary lung cancer might change the primary goal from going after the tongue tumor to doing whatever will make Taffy the most comfortable and best quality of life.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:43 pm

I guess I was thinking that you have to addres the thing on the tongue no matter, a part of that quality of life, from the sound of the state that the tongue is in. And then, at the same time, using supplements to try to arrest the rest.

I guess ab important thing is whether any supplements interfere with the action of the neoplasene?
Max-n-Indy

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 pm

I like calling the growth on the tongue the 'beast' Lisa, that's how I think of it now. LOL

So the latest bit is our visit to the internest. She didn't think the lung thing was the primary start of the cancer, vets office thinks it metastized there. Sort of the chicken or the egg thing, which came first. I'll have to check and see what Dr. Spencer recommends about supplements. With what I starting giving her, plus Dr. Lane recommended giving a chinese herb- Modified Xue Fu Shu Yu Tang, I think she is either smelling it in her food, or doesn't like the taste, so she's not had as much appetite as in the past, leaves a third of it or so.

She's getting wise to pills too, eats around them in the food or spits them out. I've opened her mouth several times and thrown the pills down her throat. We've tried like Connie did with Sander wrapping the pills in lunchmeat, been doing that the last few days, since we've been doing that her appitite has been deminished.

Now this morning she woke me up at 6:30 throwing up bile. I waited awhile & offered breakfast - she wasn't interested. Bit later she pooped some puddles out in the yard - diarrea. We thought maybe she needed a bit more exercise, so took her for a 10 min walk in the neighboorhood yesterday, maybe she picked up a virus on the air. Bill offered her lunch meat, which she took a bit ago. Maybe her tummy is upset, or she's progressing to showing the effects of the cancer.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 pm

It sounds like the bile incident is from not eating enough, not specifically from her having cancer. If her appetite is diminished and so soon after adding the supplements, my guess would be that it's the flavor or smell combined with it causing some GI upset. Fwiw, my dogs will vomit bile if they are too empty, and the most likely time of day that this would happen would be first thing in the morning.

I'm not totally clear on what she's getting, whether it's chinese herbal on/in her food and then other meds in pill form? Maybe she needs a smaller quantity so her GI can adjust to it and then build up to the full dose from there. Or maybe split up the timing of meds so they aren't all given at the same time. When ChiChi had all the autoimmune reactions and many meds Rx'd, I had to stagger them because she had some GI upset if I gave them too close together.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm

I put Sam's chinese herbs in empty capsules. They taste AWFUL.There is no way he would eat his food with the powder just put into his food. I hide them in veg for him but it would be easier to hide them in something that really wrapped well around like creamy havarti or some kind of semi-soft cheese.
I'm sorry she's feeling poorly. I hate cancer.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm

But she's got puddles coming out the other end, so stomach is upset somehow. I was downwind from her the last time a few minutes ago, she was quite gassy. Plew. Liquid poo.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:42 pm

I'm so sorry. :( Thinking of you guys.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Can you get her some slippery elm powder? Poor thing. :(

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm planning to pick up some to have on hand. Dr. Lane called last night, she suggested trying to give her broth, which Taffy wasn't interested in. But when the other dogs ate, then she wanted to eat. Ate 2/3 of her meal along with some mushy rice, then had to go outside for one last poop - then came back in and finished the rest of her meal. She ate this morning, not as hungry as last night, but took pills in lunchmeat, but at least she's eating.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 pm

So much to deal with....wish her well, pain free days ahead.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 pm

i'm sorry she's having this GI upset on top of everything else.

i think i agree with the others that if the GI symptoms just showed up, inlcuding diminished appetite, it may be b/c of one of the new things you're giving her.

only thing i have to add in relation to this is to try and give supp's once she already has food in her stomach, for example approx 20-30 minutes after she's eaten a decent amount of food. i don't know what the directions are for giving the supp's you're giving but i know with Leo the best way to keep meds from making him sick was to give them as i said.

and of course the pepcid a/c. i'm with Judy - throwing up bile & then no interest in food meant my Leo went too long w/o eating and had acid build up in his stomach. he had kidney issues so also had some GI issues with lots of throwing up bile. i made sure he got pepcid a/c 2x/day and he always got a snack before bed. his snack wasn't all that much food at all, maybe a tsp of canned salmon, a little bit of the water from the can watered down with more water. if he was on abx i also gave him his probx with his bedtime snack.

poor Taffy, i hope you can get these GI problems resolved. :(

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:52 pm

My Max didn't tolerate his chinese herbals well at all...

Hope things get better soon.
Max-n-Indy

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Funny or not so...vet said the chinese herbs are usually well tolerated (maybe because it's a modified blend?), but still it was only a couple days since she started taking them that her stomach started bothering her.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Finally a sucess. The Havarti cheese suggestion worked. Held the pill nice, she could get a hold of it good to get it down. This morning it was turkey lunchmeat, slimy stuff she had a hard time picking up. I had to hold her head up so she'd chew it and get it down.

I think she's eaten a bit more today. She ate half her breakfast, then ate the rest as a snack this afternoon, then ate at least half her dinner followed by a bite of cheese & pain pill. Now she's off chasing the cat, so she's happy.:)

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Good to hear you found something that worked for her and things are looking a bit brighter for Taffy!
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 pm

I remember Caleb wasn't keen on the taste of the Chinese herbs for his cancer, but I can't remember what I did to mask it. I vaguely think I also gave him something for his stomach and bowels while on the cancer supplements - I'll have to dig through my blog and see if I recorded anything about it.

Poor Taffy. Cancer is a b*tch.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm glad she's feeling well enough to chase the cat!

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 am

Late on this. I'm sorry to hear Taffy isn't doing well. I used Harvati cheese for Harley to keep her meds down too. And she loved baby hotdogs as well. Good luck.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Sam takes 1/2 of what was initially prescribed for his chinese herbs. The full amount was hard on his tummy and he does well on 1/2. Sometimes starting on a lower dose and increasing gradually helps too.
Glad to here of cat chasing!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:17 pm

We've cut the chinese herb amount in half also, which appears to be tolerated better. Trouble is now we think she's not liking her food. Sabine formulated a nice cooked diet for her, high protein, low carb, high fat. Lately she's taken to just smelling it, then walks away, won't touch it. Yet she will eat bits of our food, so it doesn't seem like she's totally lost her appetite. Her highness just doesn't like how her meal smells. (: Or maybe it's just that she was raw fed for so long that she doesn't like cooked. I've only made a couple batches of the cooked. I've tried adding gravy to it, yogurt, ice cream, still no go, she's like no matter what you put in it, it still smells. She wants our dinner, not hers. Trying to coax something down her throat is driving me crazy, takes up a good bit of the day, then I'm often to tired to cook for us or burn ours and end up with take out anyway like we did tonight. Taffy didn't seem to mind eating a bit of my burned offerings tonight. Or who knows, maybe it's how I'm cooking it, but she's turning into a very finicky eater - was always picky, other 2 would eat cardboard if you put it in their pans.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:12 pm

I think I'd feed her anything she felt like at this point even if it wasn't balanced or ideal. I hope you can find something she'll want. What about something really soft and smooth like canned or pureed...maybe some pureed tripe mixed in?

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Bill just got her to eat finally. He heated her dinner & added refried beans and peanut butter, gave it to her on a plate, which made it easier for her to eat. Weird combination, but at least she ate it. Bills combo made it stick together which she liked. Then she took her chinese herb on a bite of peanut butter sandwich.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”