Path Report Back for Taffy

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Path Report Back for Taffy

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 am

Came back as Squamouse cell carcinoma. Surgeon said she called City of Angels, who recommended debulk & remove tongue, then radiation as course of treatment. All she said could be done. We do that though, she'll probably be dead in a year. :madgo:

Poor dog has a hard time eating now, although she does eat and has appetite. Take her tongue and she wouldn't know what to do.

Been checking out the names I got from Dr. Spencer. turns out they are holistic vets. Two with rather poor yelp reviews. Third one that looks like he's a good one doesn't do neoplasene. It appears from the list he gave me it came from Buck Mountain Herbals. Maybe it really needs to be an oncologist we are looking for, after all I did find a couple names on my own that had heard of neoplasene.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Path Report Back for Taffy

Postby Moemer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 am

oh no, I'm so sorry. I really hope you can find a good vet, that just makes everything so much worse! sending lots of healing vibes
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm so sorry about the bad news. :(

In regards to Yelp reviews, I wouldn't go strictly by that. Stop by the office, talk to the doctor, and get an actual first-hand impression.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:52 pm

I am very sorry for this news.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:10 pm

A lot of the yelp reviews I disregard. A lot of the negatives people leave on account of the charges they incur. Veterinary services aren't cheap.

Kevin
Regular

Postby Kevin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:12 pm

In my prayers. Hoping this turns out well.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:17 pm

I'm sorry. Lots of good thoughts and prayers for you and Taffy. I wish there were more we could do.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 pm

E mailed Dr. Spencer about what the surgeon said. Dr. Spencer said, "now you begin to understand why I get so frustrated with the lack of interest and knowledge in oncology."

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Oh Johnna, I'm sorry to see this. I had hoped there would be some better options for Taffy. Sending good thoughts that you can find a vet you trust and feel good about to explore the treatment possibilities.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:45 pm

I very sorry about the news. I hope you find a vet that you are comfortable with to administer the treatment you have in mind. Maybe talk with your regular vet for a referral too?

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:05 pm

I didn't mention that the report says that the neoplasm appears to be infiltrative and malignant and evaluation of local draing lymph nodes for any evidence of enlargement or metaestasis was recommended - so that means it could be spreading.

But the report goes on to mention the pathogens that they idendentified.

Abundant growth of Escherichia Coli.

Light growth of Staph Schieiferi Subsp. Coagulans

Moderate growth of Pasteurella Species

Light growth of Enterococcus Species

So all the bacteria that was cultured accounts for the smell she had. When the biopsy was done, she'd only had one dose of Clavamox, so it didn't mask the infection. Don't think she smells quite so bad. We are fighting colds here..so...once in awhile when my nose gets exceptionally clear I think I still smell it, or it's just in my head. I've been washing dog bowls and not letting the other two lick her pan, which I'm guessing is a good idea.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Darn. I was hoping for better news. Fingers crossed you can find a vet you can work with.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Well this sucks. I can't imagine many cancers more difficult to have to deal with - for the dog or the human. Such a difficult decision. We're hear to listen and support you.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:29 pm

ugh. I'm so sorry. ((bighug))

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Don't give up. My Sander's path report said 'this tumor will be locally invasive and destructive.' Astounding all of us, it was held in check.

Go with your gut. Don't forget you can contact Roger at Marina's and get supplements that are cancer-specific.

Statistics don't tell you what's going to happen to YOUR dog, they tell you what happened to OTHER dogs.

Let Taffy tell you what she wants out of this, too. That's important.

Good wishes from all of us here.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm so sorry to hear it.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

well dang it, i'm sorry to hear this news.

i hope you can find a vet that you like to help you with however you decide to go about dealing with this. sending good thoughts to you guys.

Aubergine
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Aubergine » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

I's so sorry. I hope you can find a vet that you can trust and work with.

Big hugs from me and my crew.

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope you are able to find a good way to manage Taffy's health.

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 am

This is certainly not the news I was hoping for. Big hugs to you guys - lots of prayers too!
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Sweetgrass Farm

Postby Sweetgrass Farm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:54 am

Having seen the miracle firsthand that is Kress Country Quickdraw ("Quick"), who was treated with the neoplasene by Dr. Spencer, I hope you are able to go that route. This type of treatment is available to humans, too. According to Art (Dr. Spencer), the drug companies don't want to acknowledge that that treatment works. It's an uphill battle, but worth it. Keeping paws and fingers crossed for you and Taffy!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Well we've got an appointment this afternoon at 3:30 with one of the vets Dr. Spencer recommended. I was so silly, just because one on the list said he didn't use the neopleasene, I didn't call the other 2 thinking they were holistic and it would probably have to be an oncologist , but went ahead and called them this morning, turns out that both use it. The one I'm going to today graduated from a Canadian Vet School, her qualifications look good. Haven't cancelled the appointment I made yesterday with an oncologist, that one said she used it, but we're afraid they might recommend radiation and surgery, which we don't want to do, so I may cancell that one yet.

The tongue must be a pretty important member of the dog body. The mass is mainly on the right side of her tongue - I think she's not using that side of her mouth, she chews but drops half of what she eats, obviously the tongue helps hold the food in the mouth and hers is not working. Don't think she's barking either, haven't noticed any vocalizations lately. I'm prone to canker sores on the side of my tongue, which makes it painful to talk, so I can just imagine she might avoid barking.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Good luck today! I hope this vet has some good options for you and Taffy.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Oh, forgot to mention we were doing some searches last night on the internet researching neoplasene. Found a vetskep site that really bad mouthed it, saying there hasn't been clinical trials, etc., discounting successes with the treatment and documenting a case that went wrong. But Dr. Spencer mentioned as long as it's someone that knows what they are doing it works (maybe in that case it was someone inexperienced in it that used it.) It was also pointed out that the skepvet site sounded like it could be someone representing a drug company and not in favor of the treatment on a financial basis - radiation, chemo drugs are much more expensive and have the big buck lobbies behind them.

We found another forum which someone was talking about their cat with a tumor on it's tongue. They had to go at it slow since the cat was nearly dead before they started treatment, but it turned around and was doing well on neoplasene.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Skepvet? The guy who rants about how bad raw food is? lol
http://www.skeptvet.com/index.php?p=1_1 ... nary-Diets

Who says chiropractic treatments and acupuncture don't work? rofl
http://www.skeptvet.com/index.php?p=1_8 ... iropractic
http://www.skeptvet.com/index.php?p=1_6 ... cupuncture

The guy who tried really hard to collect a few pages of statements about how alternative treatments don't work and can possibly be harmful, without fairly comparing the dangers of conventional treatments? :rolleyes:
http://www.skeptvet.com/index.php?p=1_2 ... -The-Harm-

In other words, let the guy talk. I bet he likes Science Diet and Purina foods too, and would hit dogs with antibiotics and steroids at every turn instead of considering less risky options.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if he were the guy behind the most recent shenanigans with the proposed AVMA resolution.

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:13 pm

yeah, that's the one. I didn't know he discussed raw food or chiropractic, ect. , never ran across him till last night. Someone replied to him real skeptical about his poo pooing herbal treatments, but yet the guy went for the chemo and radiation treatments and that does no harm? Some one speculated that maybe the guy works for Pfzer (sp.?)

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:43 pm

ugh. Just read his page on raw food. He said pets were living longer because the of the better quality of nutrition in commercial foods? Nut!!

Some pretty poor commercial foods out there. Taffy was fed Pedigree before we adopted her by the rescue group, probably got a boat load of shots before the owner lost their home and couldn't keep her or Licorice - and who knows what they fed. Could blame the tumor on either one of those.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm

I don't think it does any good blaming it on random things. Just look at what happened to Quigley - dead of cancer at just over 10 years old. I adopted him when he was 3 months old, he ate great food for the most part of his life, wasn't over-vaccinated or doused with chemicals, and on the day I had to have him put to sleep all his organs except for his lungs were in great shape. :(

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:02 pm

http://www.dogcancerblog.com/neoplasene ... treatment/

that article has a link I thought looked really good. It's document for so i can;'t just link to that. Anyway, thinking of you, keeping fingers toes and paws crossed.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm

For anyone interested, here is the slide show Dr. Spencer used when I saw his presentation (view at your own risk if you can't stomach photos of wounds and tumors!!!):
http://www.scottvalleyvet.com/wp-conten ... %20web.pdf
More links on his site:
http://www.scottvalleyvet.com/neoplasene-study/

I also to to meet Quick, the JRT whose photos are in the slide show. :) If you don't look at anything else, look at the photos on the first two pages. :)

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”