Pistol's Stitches

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Pistol's Stitches

Postby my2cotons » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:38 am

We went for our appt this morning. He took out a few stitches starting at the top of the incision - just maybe 5 stitches and left the rest.

I knew he wouldn't take the rest out because over the weekend we were getting even more drainage from that one spot. He said it was a build up of serum and nothing to be overly concerned about. He drained it - took quite a bit off of it.

Told me to put a heat pack on it twice a day and gave me more anti-biotics - although he said it was not infected at all. He checked his range of motion and said it was really good. We'll go back either Thursday or Friday to hopefully remove the rest of the stitches.. I'm glad we went and had it looked at and got the drainage done.

He mentioned that they put in a metal clip of some kind to tie the suture to? Not sure I was clear about it, but I did not know they used any hardware for the traditional surgery. Anyone know about that?

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Pistol's Stitches

Postby SherriA » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:58 am

I don't know anything about the hardware, but I'm really glad you saw your vet and got some answers. Good to know that there's no infection and it just needs some more time to heal. :) .

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 am

So glad you got some good info and Pistol seems to be healing, even if it's taking a bit longer than you'd hoped. No idea bout the metal clip either.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm

That all sounds really good. I'm glad everything is healing well. I remembered seeing a good explanation with a picture showing the repair that Pistol had, and it took me some time to find it again. The website below will show you those clips and their placement as well as the monofilament. Pistol's surgery is the first one described and it has an x-ray picture below the description if you scroll down.

http://www.cruciateguide.com/CRUCIATE/surgery.php
Last edited by JudyL on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:07 pm

No clue about the clip, but glad to hear the vet visit went well and the recovery is going fairly smoothly, considering how hard it's been to keep him controlled!
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:06 am

You must be relieved to know that his healing is progressing without infection. Onward and upward!

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:18 am

After our vet visit yesterday, Pistol seems not to be doing as well as he was before the visit. He just is far less likely today to use the leg when we go out - just mostly hops on 3 legs. He was using the leg at least 50% of the time before. I am assuming it is due to draining that serum off. I mean, I would think getting it off would make it feel better, but having that needle poked around in there would probably make it sore? So hoping he will be back on track by tomorrow. The incision does look better today and isn't seeping at all.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Yep, I bet there's some residual pain from the draining.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:59 pm

I think ups and downs are to be expected, he will make progress and then have a small setback as his body adjusts. It sounds like everything is going well overall, after major surgery! :thumbup:

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”